Amazing up-close photos of a comet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
was it like the moon landing when i was a kid that most say never happened?

crackmeup2.gif

Most? I think you're confuzzed.

I found number 8 really interesting, clearly gravity is sufficient for dust to accumulate in the fashion that we are used to.

They look like they could have been taken in the US somewhere, put up on the web and called close up photos of a comet.

I won't comment one way or another about it but I bet a lot of people probably feel that way.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I found number 8 really interesting, clearly gravity is sufficient for dust to accumulate in the fashion that we are used to.

I read somewhere that the lander has a weight on the comet equivalent to a piece of paper here on Earth.

Yep, amazing fact, thanks....and with zero atmosphere, and the vibration of micrometerorites hitting, the silt just "settles"

Who are the "most" that say this?

I watched it as a kid. If you think it "never happened", better stock up on aluminum foil for you and your friends to make hats....

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
So that's what a comet looks like. It's a shame they didn't / couldn't use an RTG to power the lander.

It's European. No way they would choose the most efficient power - it's not politically correct...

Well, blame it on politics if you wish, but RTGs are very expensive and heavy. Not to mention the current scarcity of Pu 238. This wasn't a high budget, high weight margin mission.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
So that's what a comet looks like. It's a shame they didn't / couldn't use an RTG to power the lander.

It's European. No way they would choose the most efficient power - it's not politically correct...

I suggest you seek out Buzz Aldrin and ask him if the landings were a hoax. He's pretty accessible and approachable.

Go ahead, I dare you. Report back here as to his response.

Interesting pictures. Given the typical tails and concept of speed and throwing off a lot of mass in its transit (right or wrong, at least that was the concept in my mind) it was interesting to see the level of order and lack of "turbulence" (for lack of better terms, despite it being in a vacuum - Im sure someone will provide a better term). Interesting to see apparently sufficient gravity to prevent dust throwing off. Also surprised a bit of the jagged edges existing.

But I don't know much about this, just my imagination and human understanding of gravity.

I'm surprised at the number of peaks, and how they were formed. Also look at the number of rocks/boulders lying around, they don't look like meteor strikes. Makes me more curious about the origin of the comet. A former planet that had a hot core and geologic plates?

Likely...given that if we are made of anything heavier than hydrogen, we were once formed in a star...it's likely (IMO at least) that shards of smashed planets still have jagged bits, and slowly accrete stuff from around them after ejection.

Marduk, striking Tiamat is alleged to have created both the great band (asteroid belt), and the Earth.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Well, blame it on politics if you wish, but RTGs are very expensive and heavy. Not to mention the current scarcity of Pu 238. This wasn't a high budget, high weight margin mission.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Since the lander has gone into sleep mode due to insufficient power...saving a few bucks on the power supply is looking like a false economy in a two billion dollar project. Now, it may be that an RTG would be too big for the 27KG lander...but if you're spending 2 billion...I find the "not a high budget" characterization a bit specious....

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I suggest you seek out Buzz Aldrin and ask him if the landings were a hoax. He's pretty accessible and approachable.

And from what I understand, he just adores conspiracy theory questions and is really patient with debunking them.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back