Am I wasting my money?

I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner V6 with 180k miles. It does short trips during the week and an 80 mile run on Saturday. For 80% of the changes I use Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend but every so often I'll use Castrol Edge Extended 5w20. Am I falling for the hype when I use Edge and wasting my money? Oil change time is at hand. No engine problems and I'll have to add a quart halfway between changes which are every 7k

Don't know your reason so cant say falling for anything but I can say its unnecessary and very doubtful of any measurable benefit to periodically swapping.

Either meet the specifications for your car? In Atlanta, you aren't subjecting the oil to terrible winter weather conditions, so I'd say use whichever meets the specifications and makes you feel better. The Edge isn't going to make your engine last any longer or run any better. With 180k miles, whatever you have been doing seems to be working.

How long does it take you to get to 7,000 miles? Have you tried semi-annual changes?

wait for NAPA to run their sale you can get full synthetic and a NAPA filter for around $25/$50 for the year. Or Walmart super tech full synthetic with a filter of your choice for roughly the same ballpark.

i feel like with all the research i did on here and what the oil blenders and testers say is
cheapest conventional with api certficate or something broad like dexos etc for 3000ish miles? i think that was the oci
cheapest synthetic you can find api certified with something broad like dexos for 7000 ish miles? i think that was the oci

i cant remember the oil intervals but you get the jist of what i meant. if u like doing short oci then do conventional if you want to do longer then a synthetic

An API certified full synth from WM and a good filter is all you need. Supertech is fine and Castrol makes good oils. Your OCI is good so don't worry about it. You can find a good synth oil for $15 - $20 for 5 qrts. Go with that.

No, wasting money by using Edge Extended
You're only wasting it if you're just going with short intervals. When I had a Taurus with the Duratec V6, I used to toss a quart of synthetic in with the semisynthetic motor oil. Could never really find out exactly how much synthetic was in the semi syntheitc. It was supposed to be anywhere from 5-50%.

I'd go with the thicker one. The engine was probably initially spec'd for 5W30, and it's got some miles on it, and uses some oil.

I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner V6 with 180k miles. It does short trips during the week and an 80 mile run on Saturday. For 80% of the changes I use Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend but every so often I'll use Castrol Edge Extended 5w20. Am I falling for the hype when I use Edge and wasting my money? Oil change time is at hand. No engine problems and I'll have to add a quart halfway between changes which are every 7k
Much better oils at Walley World than Motorcraft Synthetic blend for less money.

I would not bother with choosing between any particular oil in that car. Don't get any oil that touts extreme cleaning agents. They may desludge a glob that is currently plugging a leak. leave that glob alone. It will ride with the care for another 200K miles if you let it. :)

My mom has a 04 Marquis with 150K miles on it that sits up in a garage in high humidity. I use Castrol Magnatec because it is cheap and a synthetic. Could easily run Chevron supreme (Good and low cost conventional) Super tech Syn, QSUD, or Havoline but my dad LOVED Castrol GTX. That's a brand my mom has seen through the years so she is comfortable with me dumping that in the engine. :)

I have no experience with the Motorcraft oil because my Walmart on sells the Motorcraft diesel oil. I personally don’t think you are throwing your money away I always run the best oil I can in a car no matter the age or mileage.

Back