Am I the only one with trouble letting go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flip tons of mowers every year and there are always a few of them that are so awesome simply through amazing engineering or the machine has so little use it's basically brand new. Yesterday, I spent $30 and picked up a 2003 Lawn Boy 10324 self propelled and a Homelite blower. The blower has clearly never been used. It never had gas in it. Do I keep this brand new machine or sell it along? Fall is coming quickly and all I have it an electric Toro blower/vac with the metal impeller. The Duraforce has basically zero hours on it and not a speck of rust on the steel deck. The paint is still intact on the bottom of it. The blade is still on its original sharpening and has no nicks in it.

All it took to bring the Lawn Boy to life was fill the tank with fuel, primed until I smelled gas actually flowing through, removed the spark plug and sprayed some WD-40 into the engine. About 20 pulls later, it came right to life in a smoky blaze of gunk burning glory. With a Briggs pilot jet replacement, some exhaust port cleaning and air filter cleaning, I have the difficult decision of keep or sell.

Who else has problems letting go of certain types of machines or such amazing deals?

I am not a hoarder but i will not get rid of useful things i own. My car and my truck will never be sold only ever repaired when needed, I will purchase more vehicles though. I have a push mower that is maybe 5 years that is like brand new that i got for free. It was my aunt and uncles. The oil has never been changed and it has no rust. I don't ever use it because it is to nice. I have my other push mower as my work horse. I would totally keep both machines if you need them. If you are a fan of this site then you will take care of the machines better that if you sold them off. If you don't need the machines sell them now before you get attached. Fall is coming and people will want a leaf blower and lawn mower.

Last year, I sold a Miller Thunderbolt welder. It was an old 225 AC machine that I had paid $80.00 for on Craigslist. I have a Lincoln 225 AC/125 DC "tombstone" that is in most ways a better welder, but for some reason, I just liked using the Miller. Doesn't make logical sense, but there it is.

I don't hoard, I only have 2 lawn mowers I use regularly, zero gas blowers, 1 string trimmer, 1 chainsaw, 1 hedge trimmer. Obviously, that doesn't count what I have for sale. The difficulty lies in which I keep and which ones go. I stand to make a healthy profit selling a practically brand new Lawn Boy and a brand new blower I got for all of $30, but I can also sell along my current Lawn Boy, make less profit and keep that machine I just picked up. I also lack a gas blower and I know my Toro isn't all that powerful and hamstringed by an electrical cord.

I picked up a mower from the town dump that I declared would be my beater for hillsides and brush hogging but it ran so nice I converted it into my primary use one.

There's no shame in having extra stuff around, so when you hear that kerchunk you aren't pressed to find an immediate replacement.

I have three running snowblowers because I can let the grass grow a couple days while I rig up a fix, but the snow has got to go, same day. And if I have to run for parts, I need a clean driveway. Oddly my favorite is a 30+ years old Monkey Wards/ MTD model.

I won't get rid of something useful. I may need another driveshaft - so I have a pile in my bathroom. Tools always come in useful. Having extra tires is useful.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine

Who else has problems letting go of certain types of machines or such amazing deals?

You could always price them quite high like my one neighbor who repairs and flips lawn mowers. He's had the one on the front yard for a year and a half...

I can relate. I sold a chainsaw recently that I had owned for a few years. I felt better when I met up with the guy for the sale. Nice guy and he seemed to realize that with proper care it should last him a very long time.

We'd all have more good, old stuff if our wives would let us.

But look on the bright side, the reason we bump into an occasional find is someone else's wife told him to get rid of it.

The only keys are prioritizing and economy. Only keep things you *need* and if you have more than you need, decide which one is the most long term economical. If still a tie, keep the one you love.
Used stuff rarely bring in differentiating prices, so if you plan on selling you may get about the same for a cheapo mower and a pro mower given that both are running well. Which says: Keep the pro stuff, move the rest! Rotate when you find a bargain that has a good arbitrage on the sticker plus the work.
Yeah, and rather sell at lower price than waiting for the "right" buyer. Waiting makes you a hoarder and a persona non grata in the neighbourhoos long term!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Lawnboys have a special place in my heart. The "true" Lawnboys, that is. Two strokes. I've bought a lot of them for no more than $25 each. I flipped some, fixed some, kept some for parts. I have a few F engine models that I intend to keep using forever and I've build up a spare parts stash. Engines, wheels, transmissions, etc.

I had one Duraforce that ran well until it threw a rod. Not as much of a fan of the DF as I am of the F engine. That for me, was LB at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back