Am I the only one paranoid about giving people a jump start?

I guess you can get in and verify yourself the battery is dead when you hear the starter solenoid click, but I think a lot of people assume the battery is dead when it could be a number of things wrong. Then you end up blowing up someones battery because that's not the problem or, or whatever problem they have transfers over to your vehicle if it happens to be a short circuit or something. Opinions?

Two days back I gave an old Focus a jump
I was in the Caddy, I don't keep a jump pack in it
It was late and dark, and he had cables 🤷‍♂️

Ford battery terminals + cheap flimsy cables + 2024 Smart charging systems + stupid GM fuse box design made the whole procedure more time consuming than it should've been, but I got him going and on his way 👍

My jump pack has saved many more people than myself, I'm a firm believer in goodwill coming back to me one way or another
But if you're indifferent to my assistance or disrespectful to my vehicle, I'll slam that hood and chirp out in two seconds flat 😤

Making the last negative connection to a metal body ground, or at the assisting vehicles negative post greatly reduces (but does not eliminate) the chance of explosion

I haven't gotten that paranoid
...yet 🙄

If someone offered to jump me with jumper cables I would say thanks but no thanks. It's not that I think jumper cables are dangerous, it's just that someone using jumper cables in 2024 is a red flag.

I have a jumper cable and a tow rope in my truck just in case or maybe an old habit. The jumper cable has never been used or needed and I have used the tow rope only once help someone in snow.

There is a potential for your alternator damage and I've read about ECU damages as well but not as common.

I don't interact with strangers in this world any longer. Either I was born at the wrong time or the end is closing in fast. Either way, I keep my distance.
This is a very good point. There are simply too many crazies out there. And even if you train and arm yourself to establish an increased level of awareness and protection against it / them, you could easily find yourself facing an economic disaster should you ever have to rely on it.

So in most cases it's in your best benefit to avoid any unnecessary direct contact with strangers in today's world. Why take unnecessary risks? This is no longer paranoia, it's reality in all too many cases.

Last edited:
I carry a lithium jump pack in each vehicle.

I ran into a situation that I knew karma was gonna whup my butt. I stopped at a convenience store before going into work one time and this guy had some janky cables on a well abused Honda Accord that needed a jump. I made up some excuse not to, but know I needed to order a jump pack asap.

Jumped a couple cars with them, both people who work where I do. One at the convenience store up from work and then another in the parking lot on a very cold evening.

Back