Am I the only Mobil 1 hater here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been impressed with this oil, for reasons of increased engine noise, increased consumption, oil seeming to get dark to quickly for my likeing and a seemingly decreased smoothness in engine operation when compared to Amsoil or regular old dino. anybody else feel the same?

mobile 1 did give me better milage, but i'm with you. i'm not impress by engine noise and UOA. i've switched to chevron supreme and doing 5k change interval.

quote:

Originally posted by BlackF250:
I have never been impressed with this oil, for reasons of increased engine noise, increased consumption, oil seeming to get dark to quickly for my likeing and a seemingly decreased smoothness in engine operation when compared to Amsoil or regular old dino. anybody else feel the same?

Engines blow up with this stuff. That is why it comes in a "New, Improved" version every 6 months. And each "New, Improved" version only blows up more engines than the last.
shocked.gif

Engines blow up with this stuff? What are you talking about? Engines blow up with any oil. I've seen acounts on other message boards about how Mobil 1 made their engine blow up
rolleyes.gif
Bull **** There was a mechanical problem that would've done the same with any oil. There is WAY too many people out there that continuasly race their street motors with Mobil 1 and have 0 problems with it to say it's the oil. More people use it in high performance street engines than any other brand. (my gosh, am I now defending Mobil 1?
shocked.gif
)

[ November 21, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Drew99GT ]

I still think Mobil 1 is a great oil. I really think that with the addition of Mobil 1 R and SUV 5w-40, people will be more happy. I think Mobil 1's biggest problem is that is has and still is too thin and this is why people complain of noise. It's just too thin for certain engines, especially GM engines and Jeeps. These engines seem to run better on thicker oils. My experience in my 4cyl is that it's perfectly fine. My .02

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Engines blow up with this stuff? What are you talking about.......? I've seen acounts on other message boards about how Mobil 1 made their engine blow up
rolleyes.gif
Bull **** There was a mechanical problem that would've done the same with any oil. There is WAY too many people out there that continuasly race their street motors with Mobil 1 and have 0 problems with it to say it's the oil. More people use it in high performance street engines than any other brand. (my gosh, am I now defending Mobil 1?
shocked.gif
)

Re: "...WAY too many people.....race.....with Mobil 1 and have 0 problems with it to say its the oil.....More people use it....than any other brand....."

Sounds just like the PR Blurb for FRAM oil filters. "More people use it.....than any other brand.....If a few people blow up engines with it, so what? If Purolator had as many people use theirs as we have people use FRAM, they would blow up engines too." I say b*llSh*t to M*1, pal. I knew it was cr*p in 1983, and I know for sure now it is cr*p.

As for message boards, don't need to go far to see people panning M*1. Scroll down to the post "Castrol Syntec 5w-50, my mechanic says....." date 11/10/03, by TSoA. A whole litany of engine blow-ups believed to be caused by M*1.
lol.gif

I agree plus; if you don't want to use, don't. But don't bash something you don't like or if doesn't work for you. Some cars like it and some don't. M1 has been aroung a long, long time and is used all over the world to include endurance racing and other engine torturing applications. That is why we have are so many car oils. If you don't like one, just go try another until you find the one that works for you. BTW, I use Red Line. Like always, just my two cents.

Pedro

I drag race on a national level, in a headsup, no breakout forum, naturally aspirated. I've used mobil 1 for the last few seasons spinning in excess of 10,000 rpm with a small block chevrolet, using 0-30. I have no issues or failures oil related. I have also used Royal Purple 11 lite and have seen about the same results in wear charactoristics without touching the short block all season.

So now tell me again how Mobil 1 blows up engines.... That's a good one.

M1 blows up engines...! Oh crap, I better get it out of my 220 000 mile Integra, ASAP!

Oh...It's been in there the last 210 000 miles!!!

Show me the science, the proof, the data, heck, show me the engines, AFTER! teardown...

Maybe then I'll consider listening to any of the naive, unsupported propaganda spewed by the likes of Flimflam and others...
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

I think buster has it right! I am very impressed with mobil 1 as far as UOA's. I am also impressed with the miata that has gone 215,000 on mobil 1 and uses very little oil. Maybe some engines just don't like it.
dunno.gif

Let me add to this, I'm will to bet $ that Mobil 1 has as many or more good UOA's on this entire website as any other top tier synthetic. People who don't think Mobil 1 is good are ignoring hard evidence and obviously have a bias. You can't refute the facts and that is Mobil 1 works well and it's proven by the UOA's on this board. EAT that Mobil 1 haters!!!!
lol.gif

I personally watched a Porsche factory mechanic pour Mobil 1 15w-50 into a GT Grand Am race car at Road America, probably two years ago. I guess they WANT their engine to blow up.
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif

So, let me see if I've got all this oil stuff right. Amsoil sucks because they use MLM. Castrol sucks because they call G-III synthetic. Red Line sucks because it is not amenable to "normal" testing protocol. Now M1 sucks because people don't choose the right viscosity. I'm glad I switched to Pennzoil!

sounds kinda unscientific if you ask me

I don't exactly "like" M1 for two reasons:

a) it's a bit thin for the vis rating, but I'm not sure that means sh!t fer shinola

b) It's tough to compete against!
blush.gif
I mean when this poor boy comes walkin' in and has to scrape the sh!t right off my shews and they still won't buy my product cause they can buy a product that comes REAL close, and you can buy at RedNek mart...well you get the picture, dontcha?

quote:

Originally posted by doyall:
So, let me see if I've got all this oil stuff right. Amsoil sucks because they use MLM. Castrol sucks because they call G-III synthetic. Red Line sucks because it is not amenable to "normal" testing protocol. Now M1 sucks because people don't choose the right viscosity. I'm glad I switched to Pennzoil!

Pennzoil causes sludging, remember! Better get it out ASAP or your engine will have TONS of sludge
fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back