Am I Severe Driver? 2014 Mustang GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oldhp
For the life of me I still don't understand why some people want to go XX,XXX miles between oil changes???

YEAH!! WHAT HE SAID!!
laugh.gif

How much did this car cost? If you changed oil 3 times a year you wouldn't be broke and you wouldn't have to worry about the engine either. For the life of me I still don't understand why some people want to go XX,XXX miles between oil changes??? I know I'll get this rammed down my throat, but it still doesn't make sense to me, even if the oil change cost $80/$100, you would still be better off than stretching it to the max. And I still don't trust the OLM's......just me.

10-4 Roger that.

I do not understand how people can stare data in the face, double, then, triple check data then state the data is wrong.

Also I do not understand the paranoia of the engine failing due to engine lubrication failure. Which is amongst the least likely outcome of an auto being put to pasture.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Just follow the OLM.
If you're going to drive it hard, use synthetic.

+1 Short and sweet.

On my 14 Mustang GT, I changed mine at one year with about 4,600 miles on it. The OLM was at 43%. I used 5W-20 Motorcraft. I plan on using the OLM or one year changes.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
For the life of me I still don't understand why some people want to go XX,XXX miles between oil changes???

YEAH!! WHAT HE SAID!!
laugh.gif

I'm with Merk and Oldhp too :^)

Originally Posted By: wtd
On my 14 Mustang GT, I changed mine at one year with about 4,600 miles on it. The OLM was at 43%. I used 5W-20 Motorcraft. I plan on using the OLM or one year changes.

Wayne

I guess that answers the question of whether they added a clock. That means its my driving.

Regarding your second paragraph, Im a bit puzzled. If engine lubrication plays such a trivial role in engine failure, then I have to ask why you have over 6,000 posts on an oil forum? Wouldn't your time be better spent elsewhere instead of hours upon hours here going over a gaggle of phantom problems and unsubstantiated paranoia?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I do not understand how people can stare data in the face, double, then, triple check data then state the data is wrong.

Also I do not understand the paranoia of the engine failing due to engine lubrication failure. Which is amongst the least likely outcome of an auto being put to pasture.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The iOLM does not know the difference between conventional and synthetic.

Just continue your normal routine. How many miles on your GT?

That's why OLMs by the vehicle OEMs are starting to take the guess work out of OCIs.

When the OLMs come out with a FULL SYN, SYN, SEMI SYN and DINO selection button then we will be in heaven and there wont much more to discuss on this site. Better still perhaps we can have a drop down selection menu with the OLM tailored to synchronize the OCI to your brand of oil.

Like with all new devices it takes time to capture performance data over a wide range of conditions.

For me 7500 kms or 6 months is optimum in my driving conditions, road use and climate based on the OEM guidelines.

Last edited:
Follow factory intervals and oil types
Oil life monitors were made to take the guess work out of oil changes, so don't overthink it

How much did this car cost? If you changed oil 3 times a year you wouldn't be broke and you wouldn't have to worry about the engine either. For the life of me I still don't understand why some people want to go XX,XXX miles between oil changes??? I know I'll get this rammed down my throat, but it still doesn't make sense to me, even if the oil change cost $80/$100, you would still be better off than stretching it to the max. And I still don't trust the OLM's......just me.

The OLM doesn't stretch the oil change to the max. People are safely running oil far in excess of what the OLM recommends. Pretty clear the Ford 5.0 with 8 qt sump does just fine with 10K changes under normal conditions.

Ford did not use a 8qt oil pan so you can drive it 10K between OCI's.....it's there because of hi-performance use. My 2014 Silverado with V6 has 6qt oil pan. Hi-performance??? NO. High heat kept in engine. 210° thermostat + 3 catalytic convertors + muffler + adaptive exhaust valve = High engine oil temps.
....and I still don't trust OLM's. Just because OLM puts out data that says you can go XXXXX miles before oil change, to me means nothing. WHO put the DATA in the ECU that runs the OLM???
Just me....too old school to change because a electronic gizmo says its time to do what ever.......Cheers!!!

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Oil life monitors were made to take the guess work out of oil changes, so don't overthink it

That's why GM had to change there olm because of timing chain stretch and worn out pistons but we should trust them.

Originally Posted By: NewYorkBuck
Regarding your second paragraph, Im a bit puzzled. If engine lubrication plays such a trivial role in engine failure, then I have to ask why you have over 6,000 posts on an oil forum? Wouldn't your time be better spent elsewhere instead of hours upon hours here going over a gaggle of phantom problems and unsubstantiated paranoia?

You got bigger problems in the "City that never sleeps."

You probably have 1000 posts on the "Big Gulp" forum.

And another 2000 posts on the "I wish I could own a firearm without a permit" forum.

WHO put the DATA in the ECU that runs the OLM???

Just the poor, ignorant fools that designed and tested the engines for tens of thousands of hours. Too bad they don't have your insight.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
But 5w50 will better help with severe service with the 5.0 coyote motor

And how do you figure that?
Ford doesn't recommend anything heavier than 5W-20 even with track use for the Mustang GT.

A_Harman, The poor, ignorant fools that designed and tested the GM 2.4 OLM's must have had a brain f@rt, other wise why did they re-flash the OLM's??? You know, when the timing chain eating itself up issue reared its ugly head because OCI's where too long. Just because the factory sets something up doesn't mean its right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back