Am I crazy?Think of trading in my 00 GTI for an 05 Hyundai Accent GT.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the VW is nicer but it will cost me over $13 to $15K more over a 5 year span vs trading it in(flat trade)for a new Accent GT.That assuming gas prices don't rise over the next 5 years(yeah right).

Both are fun as **** to drive but with the Hyundai with an excellent warranty and waaay better mpg's.

BTW
Actually the Accent is way more structurally tighter.The VW is very creaky.

That accent will lose its structure quickly. The frameless door windows will whistle within 20k miles.

That said the accent is a tolerable appliance with acceptable ergonomics and 40mpg. Hopefully the GT comes with decent tires.

I'd buy a cheap, bare-bones, 05 Corolla CE Auto for about $13K + TAX right now.

It won't have cruise control, or power windows/locks, but it will be reliable and more practical than a Hyundai.

As good as Hyundais are, they really are unproven and we really don't know how well they hold up over the long term.

Michael

I've read that Hyundai has improved their vehicle's reliability, on the whole, with some models more reliable than udders. Consumer Reports is a decent place to ascertain relative reliability since the magazine receives large numbers of feedback about vehicle problem areas.

Hyundai also has a fairly decent dealer network in place. Not as extensive as the domestic makes but if ye dwelleth in or near a city there's likely a dealer nearby.

Still, I agree with the guy upstairs declaring that a Corolla may be a better buy due to known reliability, extensive dealer network and, if you keep the critter for the long term..... future used parts availability from wrecking yards to assist in keeping parts costs down. Our yard kept a horde of Toyota parts. The wrecking yard industry calls Toyotas "keeper cars." Folks tend to keep them a long time and will eventually need parts so we stored those parts for future sales.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
That accent will lose its structure quickly. The frameless door windows will whistle within 20k miles.

That said the accent is a tolerable appliance with acceptable ergonomics and 40mpg. Hopefully the GT comes with decent tires.

Actually the 05's don't have frameless windows.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Trade in the Golf while it's still worth something (and still running).

I've owned it for about a year and driven it 18K trouble free miles.It runs better then ever!

Anyways I think I ended up really overestimating the operating cost of the GTI vs Accent.

Sure it will cost a little bit more but it's probably worth it as it's the most satisfing car i've ever owned!

BTW,while creaky,it ain't that creaky like I mentiond before.I'm just too picky at times.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Check out what 3 year old Hyundais trade for.

Your right.Imagine if decided that I was tired of it 3 years.It would drop like a rock!

Dang,it was a crazy idea in the name of mpg's!
Man,it ain't everything.....

yep, I am torn also, I love my toyota truck but get 17-19mpg, so I am leaning heavily toward that corolla I was asking about in another post. I could more than double my gas mileage, I hear you on the MPG, I think with the way things are right now everyone is kind of in a panicky state. If you get a chance, check out the 2006 civic on Hondas website, it is a sweet car! upscale looking interior with navigation! looks great, even the sedan

If I trade in my VW(if ever)for an economical and reliable subcompact, I'd go for this instead of the Accent GT:

-

Coming within a year to the US market(est $12k) to counter the Scion onslaught..seen several in person on a recent trip back to my home country. Real nice..

For less $$ over the Honda Fit/Jazz..this new VVTi engined Euro looking '06 Kia Rio 5 ain't shabby.

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ September 10, 2005, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: vwoom ]

Does that 06 Kia Rio really come with a Becker head unit, is that just something that looks like a Becker head unit, or was that added after the fact? (Becker is who makes the head units that Porsche uses and they're rather pricey).

The HU is actually a JVC..yeah, it does look a like a Becker. Reminds me, my beater W201 and my old mans W123 used to have that knobless old oem Becker casette HU(forgot the model). The face sans the display all covered w/ rectangular buttons..
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:

It won't have cruise control, or power windows/locks, but it will be reliable and more practical than a Hyundai.

As good as Hyundais are, they really are unproven and we really don't know how well they hold up over the long term.

Michael

I traded in a 99 Corolla for the GTI as the Corolla while reliable was an utter uncharasmatic bore to drive.The GTI is the opposite,it's a blast to drive!

I've come to the conclusion that in reality Hyundai's are pretty much as reliable as Toyota's and Honda's are.The stigma still attached to their name actually helps buyers get the low prices on their reliable cars.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:

Michael

Define unproven. We are currently on our third Hyundai Elantra. Only thing you won't get out of it is trade-in value, and that has been increasing steadily. Also, last I checked Hyundai's weren't high on the Most popular stolen car list. The '05 GT Auto my parents drive gets 36 mpg and has everything, cd player, moon roof, upgraded suspension, leather, 16" rims, AC, the works. I think they paid around $14-15K. Just can't compare a stripped, bland looking corolla to a Elantra GT. Slap a tiburon sway bar on it and take it to Auto-X.

Just remember that if you buy used the warranty is cut down to 60K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back