Always remember to check your oil filter gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as I was tightening the new filter on I decided to look at the gasket on the old filter. And what do you know its not there. So I take the filter off the car and old one falls off. Good thing I checked it, it could have been bad.

oil002.jpg

Yes! That would make an immediate mess. I always use a rag and wipe the mounting plate. Even on cars that I can't see too well. It wipes the old oil and possible dirt off. And if there is a gasket it will fall off.

I can tell you that if anyone has the new Cartridge style filters.. that is so true... that O ring needs to seat perfectly

yep, I always wipe the mounting plate when I put on the new oil filter. I don't want the dirty oil mixing with the new oil filter.
wink.gif

I'm not sure why but the 4.6 modular holds on to the gasket. For me, in 10 years the two double gasketed cars were Crown Vics. And the close calls on ones was avoided with the simply rag trick.

I forgot to mention, good catch!!! That would have been a mess!

Last edited:
Wasn't that the whole problem with the Honda Element/CR-V "engine fires"? That the filter was in such a horrible place that even experienced techs were double gasketing them?

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Yes! That would make an immediate mess.

Only if you are lucky. If you aren't lucky it will hold until your wife is on the freeway in the fast lane with the stereo blaring and oblivious to the red light on the dashboard until the engine noise gets louder than the stereo. Don't ask how I know.

It took a crankshaft, one connecting rod, full set of bearings and piston rings to correct the resulting mess. Fortunately the cylinder walls and pistons weren't damaged.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Yes! That would make an immediate mess.

Only if you are lucky. If you aren't lucky it will hold until your wife is on the freeway in the fast lane with the stereo blaring and oblivious to the red light on the dashboard until the engine noise gets louder than the stereo. Don't ask how I know.

It took a crankshaft, one connecting rod, full set of bearings and piston rings to correct the resulting mess. Fortunately the cylinder walls and pistons weren't damaged.

Ouch. That hypothetical man was probally not real happy.

Only ever happened one time to me. 1979 Ranchero with a 302 that had so much blow-by I didn't even know why I was changing the oil. Started her up when done, and immediately knew I had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back