Always check your filter..

Status
Not open for further replies.
..before purchase or installation. I'm going to return this Quaker State QS14006 because they didn't quite get all the holes in the tube opened.. I can't leave it to chance that it won't come loose during operation.

qs23.jpg

I've seen a lot of Purolators like that recently. I think their overall quality has gone down. Even had a Purolator made Bosch with the leaf spring installed upside down and everything was loose inside the can.

Good suggestion.

I wonder if the Purolator rebate program is causing Purolator to pinch pennies by reducing the QC inspections they do on their parts?

You know in the end cheapness comes at a price.

Considering where that item is it would not get past the filter media as the oil would simply keep forcing it against the media, but still that shows a QC error. You should send this pic and the filter to Purolator and QS for examination make them pay the postage !

Originally Posted By: JoeWGauss
Considering where that item is it would not get past the filter media as the oil would simply keep forcing it against the media, but still that shows a QC error. You should send this pic and the filter to Purolator and QS for examination make them pay the postage !

No, it wouldn't. Oil flows from the outside holes into the center tube.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

This. I'm not sure what would happen, but it wouldn't be good (and wouldn't get caught by the media, that's for sure)

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

This. I'm not sure what would happen, but it wouldn't be good (and wouldn't get caught by the media, that's for sure)

If that piece of metal broke free it would go directly into the engine's main oil gallery and then who knows where inside the engine. NOT good.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
..before purchase or installation. I'm going to return this Quaker State QS14006 because they didn't quite get all the holes in the tube opened.. I can't leave it to chance that it won't come loose during operation.

I suggest you contact Purolator at the Email link shown in the link below. Send them the photo(s). Reporting stuff like this only helps them improve their processes products.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/PROs.aspx

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I suggest you contact Purolator at the Email link shown in the link below. Send them the photo(s). Reporting stuff like this only helps them improve their processes products.

Exactly-don't return it to the store where someone else will buy it unknowingly

You know I just remembered something. A while back before I joined I remember reading a thread posted where a guy did maintenance on his Mazda 3 and had changed the spark plugs, I also think he did an oil and filter as well at the same time.

He mentioned that following this service he had an engine failure and that something had damaged the number 1 cylinder and caused it to fail. I wonder if this could possibly be the culprit.

Anyone else remember that post, it was probably a couple of months ago or so.

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Exactly-don't return it to the store where someone else will buy it unknowingly

Now that is what it's all about. +1!!!

iam not suprised you get what you pay for..thats why i hate paper filters either metal particles tear the paper,or high flows destroys the paper, leaking,paper filter collapes.etc.they always worried me.my opinion.

Well, hopefully if I returned the filter as defective; they wouldn't return it to the shelves. I'll be contacting Purolator and see what they say. If they won't replace it though, it's going back so I can get a new one.

As far as I can tell, it's the only filter out of my stash to have that problem, and it was the only hole still covered.

QS says their filters contain "a special blend of cellulose and synthetic microfibers".. how much synthetic though is in question
smile.gif

Yikes! Yeah, that's not good. I typically OCD inspect mine, but was never really looking for that. I will now.

If that filter was at a quick lube shop it would have been spun on faster than you can say 'fail'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back