Aluminum wheels and lug nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some stock Toyota aluminum wheels for my snow tires and wanted to make sure that I can use the same lug nuts that I use for my steel wheels. Thanks.

The only thing I know to check is whether the nut to wheel mating surface is flat or conical.

Since you're dealing with nuts you don't have to fear lug bolts being too long or too short.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
What car were they from. You likely need new nuts.

It's off a 2012 corolla. I have the stock steel wheels with hub caps. I found some corolla stock aluminum wheels off same year of car that I could use for my snow tires.

Check torque a couple few times on new aluminum wheels after driving around town, they like to loosen until they seat properly to the nuts. IMO

Originally Posted By: Kira
The only thing I know to check is whether the nut to wheel mating surface is flat or conical.

I think most steel wheels use flat cone nuts and most aluminum use conical cone nuts (the actual shape of the taper itself).

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
What car were they from. You likely need new nuts.

+1. Often there are different nuts for different wheel compositions.

You will need new lug nuts. Toyotas use mag washer lug nuts for all their alloy wheels. Steelies use your standard conical lug nuts. They are NOT interchangeable.

+2, my prius has the two piece nuts and I had to buy some conies for the steelie snow rims.

The 2 piece nuts do have a small cone portion intended for the steel spare tire but I don't want to wreck them.

See if the seller will throw the nuts in for free, if he has them. If not use it as a bargaining chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back