Aluminum oil drain plug on OEM Mazda3

I recently purchased some magnetic oil drain plug from amazon and turns out they were made of aluminum. Is it safe to use in the OEM pans? I was under the impression that they were interchangeable but I’m afraid it’s only for racing engines

Any ideas?
Thanks

I will have to double check tomorrow, but I think the OE plugs are aluminum. Depends on the year though, we sell a lot of the SkyActive cars but not so much the older ones.

I'd tend to think as atikovi as the abuse of the oil pan threads is pervasive and an option to avoid that. I've not seen the aluminum plugs or know what grade of aluminum is used.

Probably designed that way so you strip the drain plug before the oil pan. Better to spend $5 on a drain plug than $500 on replacing the pan.
These are not new though, seems to be the only magnetic drain plugs I have available. Others are just normal plugs and OEM

I just threw out two Gold Plugs: Avalon oil drain and 240 differential fill plug. The magnets had lost considerable strength.

The Dimple plug in the 240 oil pan is twice as old and is significantly stronger. I ordered Votex plugs to replace and evaluate.

With the proper torque spec, the aluminum ones probably hold up OK...? I don't personally know for sure, I've never owned a Mazda.
But as stated above, the aluminum design is most likely intended to be sacrificial and protect the pan if over-torqued.

Of course you can use a aluminum oil drain plug in your Mazda3, it's screwing into a aluminum oil pan. Aluminum bolts are not common on cars since they aren't as strong as steel, but a drain plug is just a plug.

Back