Alton Brown - Feasting on asphalt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feasting on Asphault is an great show. It really dwells on food/eateries and the road trip feeling. it doesn't overdose on motorcycle touring. I enjoy the photo re-cap at each comercial break too.

Good eats is the only cooking show I can stand to watch. he explains why you cook things certain ways, not just how to cook them.

I'm with you guys, both of his shows are great. Just as Tom mentioned, I like the way he eplains the science behind what he's cooking and not just telling you to add a certain ingredient.

The midwest one was cool, he made coffee on top of Pikes Peak (which I can see typing this right now
grin.gif
). It sucks he got there too early in the season as the summit house was closed; they have THE BEST home made donuts in the world. They're like huge circular funnel cakes.

Apparently Alton has an incident on his bike and busts up his arm in the final episode. DOH

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
The midwest one was cool, he made coffee on top of Pikes Peak (which I can see typing this right now
grin.gif
). It sucks he got there too early in the season as the summit house was closed; they have THE BEST home made donuts in the world. They're like huge circular funnel cakes.

How is the coffee their? I ask because with the boiling point of 186F at the summit, it must be a bit different.

Does the low pressure have something to do with the donuts being large too?

Must be tough having to live with a view like that
grin.gif

I remember a Tom McCahil article about driving DOWN Pike's Peak in a typical mid 60s four wheel drum "supercar"...incredible.

Apparently Hillary (not Doug) needed a pressure cooker to make a cup of tea.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
grin.gif

How is the coffee their? I ask because with the boiling point of 186F at the summit, it must be a bit different.

Does the low pressure have something to do with the donuts being large too?

Must be tough having to live with a view like that
grin.gif

Coffee is coffee to me, so I can't tell a difference. I like my cream and sugar with a splash of coffee
wink.gif

The donuts, I have no clue. I think the low pressure may in fact make the dough more expansive. But man they are tasty up there.

When you drive down the peak, the rangers make you stop your vehicle half way and they check your brakes to see how hot they are. Flatlanders have no concept of downshifting! I could probably make it the whole way with about 10 taps of the brakes total.

quote:

Originally posted by Shannow:
I remember a Tom McCahil article about driving DOWN Pike's Peak in a typical mid 60s four wheel drum "supercar"...incredible.

I went down Pike peak in 1961 in a 1961 Chevy Impala with a 3 speed manual transmission. It was a non-event.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back