Alternator rotor somehow separated from shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a Ford Crown Vic.

Car was making horrible noise and battery light came on. Opened the hood and sound was coming from the alternator. I watched as a friend started the car and thru the slots in the alternator I could see the rotor spin for a second and then stop. When the car was shut off the alternator would spin for about another second and stop. Must be the rotor separated from the shaft.

First time I have seen that.

I have seen it a few times in some VW models but never in a Crown Vic. I guess it could happen with any car just about.

good oportunity to replace with a high output alternator
20.gif

Originally Posted By: defektes
good oportunity to replace with a high output alternator
20.gif

... Yeah and we wanna see pictures...
20.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
First time I have seen that.

Anything can happen... But my dad and I have both been mechanics pretty much our entire life. I've never even heard of that happening.

what year is the crown vic? some of the police interceptor models actually have a one way clutch on the alternator because of the constant on WOT, off WOT those cars see.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
what year is the crown vic? some of the police interceptor models actually have a one way clutch on the alternator because of the constant on WOT, off WOT those cars see.

I need to get me one of those units.

Ford has been using that system since maybe 03-04 on the police cars. the only downside is when they stop working a replacement unit is around $600

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Im not sure. Ive heard though the OWC pulleys wear out fast. In fact they are serviceable separately; what have you seen?

The Saab 93 uses a similar type of OWC and someone was able to get a replacement OWC pulley for that from an alternator rebuild parts distributor. I believe it was a Transpo part.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Ford has been using that system since maybe 03-04 on the police cars. the only downside is when they stop working a replacement unit is around $600

Oh man I hope not. That will hurt the budget! Goes in today for service. It is a Police Interceptor model.

I just had to look this up.
Apparently, the clutch is a mechanical device with no electronics. It is in the pulley assembly, not the alternator.
It disengages on acceleration and heavy acceleration.

More crud to break, IMO.

Yes our city mechanic said the clutch broke. Got a new reman alternator for $ 380.00. That still hurts.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
More crud to break, IMO.

Probably engineered only because the taxpayers originally purchased this car, not a single individual.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I just had to look this up.
Apparently, the clutch is a mechanical device with no electronics. It is in the pulley assembly, not the alternator.
It disengages on acceleration and heavy acceleration.

More crud to break, IMO.

It mainly disengages when the drivetrain is shifting gears. It shifts fast enough that the alternator can't slow down as fast as the rest of the acccessories, because of inertia. It just tears up the belt. Like this. Of course, thats the small 110amp civi alt too. I can't imagine what that big 200amp Mitsubishi police alt would do with a solid pulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back