Alternatives to Lucas Assembly Lube with Zinc & Mo

GAN

I have an application with small highly loaded needle bearings where I was using Lucas Semi-Synthetic Assembly Lube during assembly. The SDS has this as an OSHA hazard and I am looking for an alternative that does not have as much zinc or does not have the OSHA hazard warning. The lube is used to hold the needle bearings in place during assembly and to provide protection on high speed, cold initial startups that cannot be otherwise controlled. What lubricants can you recommend for highly loaded high speed needle bearings to provide protection on initial startup before normal splash lubrication has a chance to reach the needles? Thanks, Greg

not a fan of Lucas products, for extreme stresses redline products rule!!!

What are you rebuilding? For normal rebuilds I have always just used STP with good results as an assembly lube. Don't know about high performance, though. On Chevy engines I always filled the oil filter and spun the oil pump with the electric drill tool until the engine was fully oiled. Therefore, no dry start.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GAN
I have an application with small highly loaded needle bearings where I was using Lucas Semi-Synthetic Assembly Lube during assembly. The SDS has this as an OSHA hazard and I am looking for an alternative that does not have as much zinc or does not have the OSHA hazard warning. The lube is used to hold the needle bearings in place during assembly and to provide protection on high speed, cold initial startups that cannot be otherwise controlled. What lubricants can you recommend for highly loaded high speed needle bearings to provide protection on initial startup before normal splash lubrication has a chance to reach the needles? Thanks, Greg
At our shop when one of the techs were rebuling a Engine or doing some job that was going create a dry start or partial dry start like the DOHC were new and he would always put this RED Stuff called SLIP COAT I think the name was.

I've always liked Clevite engine assembly lube. Hard to explain, but it seems to stick to metal surfaces without running much at all. I've also used Permatex engine assembly lube and it tends to be stringy and messy, as well as flattens out and seems to run a lot on slick bearing surfaces. Interestingly enough, the OEM Honda shop manual for Civics and Integras says to simply coat the bearings with engine oil. That's it.

I think this was the stuff but its been so long since I have been up north and been in our family Garage.... also I know Royal Purple makes 1 also. and Yamaha makes one for Motorcycle Engines and Boat Engines

Last edited:

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
The engine builder I know uses GM EOS exclusively for all his builds as an assembly lube. I've tried it when we did a cam swap and it really stays where you want it quite well and is very slick.

I've been using the Redline liquid assembly lube on Blown Fuel engines, for 10+ years now. It works well.

I have an application with small highly loaded needle bearings... The lube is used to hold the needle bearings in place during assembly and to provide protection.... before normal splash lubrication has a chance to reach the needles? Thanks, Greg
Wheel bearing grease or Vasoline.

Originally Posted By: asand1
I have an application with small highly loaded needle bearings... The lube is used to hold the needle bearings in place during assembly and to provide protection.... before normal splash lubrication has a chance to reach the needles? Thanks, Greg
Wheel bearing grease or Vasoline.
I'd have to agree with this considering its needle bearings. A good moly grease would work great here

Points to consider when deciding on initial needle bearing lubrication: Needle bearings require very little lubrication and unless it's of very large diameter, most needle bearings need only a few drops of oil. Grease is used mainly to hold the needles in place on full compliment bearings.

I'm sure the MSDS on all greases/oils will show some type of hazardous chemicals. Zinc is a good EP lube.