Alternatives to 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not starting this thread to have another 20 vs 30 debate. I'm starting it for my own information. As you guys know, I'm getting a car with a Honda engine, specing 20 weight. If I've already decided to use 30, what are good criteria for choosing one? A super-thick 30, even if it was good quality like GC, would be out. I don't think pouring in cheap dino 5w-30 in-a-drum would be ok either. For example the Ford 5w-20 spec is tough on oil. That in mind, is there a minimum quality one should shoot for? Are there any oils to avoid etc??? I think I'll be ok with my Havoline Synth 5w-30 for break-in and Mobil 1 0w-30 after that, but I want to get input, esp from guys whose cars call for 20 weight and I want to hear what they are using and why. ps- If I was buying 5w-20, Mobil Clean looks tempting.

I guess you could use a group 3 like havoline for breakeven but most use dino group 2 and factory fill for 5-10K before going to syn. Wouldn't the 20w get through winter and to summer?

"Why not use 5w-20 like it calls for?"

Is 25 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-30 sitting right here a good reason?

I don't think the difference between a thin 30 and a 20 is really huge. I's not like I'm using 20w-50.

The mobil oil you chose will work great. If it's a brand new car i would use motorcraft 5w20 syn blend for break-in then changes to mobil.

"If it's a brand new car i would use motorcraft 5w20 syn blend for break-in then changes to mobil."

Is there something special about Honda engines that requires a "break in" oil? I would think that most new cars could go straight to synthetic with no leaking or seal conditioning issues.

confused.gif

It's funny that one can trust Honda to engineer and make a reliable car enough to buy one however they can't be trusted to make a correct recommendation for the engine oil viscosity.

using M1 0w30 your engine will be fine.

i dont see why someone cant decide to use an xw30 instead of an xw20 without getting a bunch of crap from some people. yes xw20 is recommended but if the person wants to use xw30 let him/her. it is their engine and if they want to use a different grade of oil then sobeit. i just checked on that link above and for my neon in austrailia they say use 10w40 or 5w30 but here its 5w30 preferred. so why cant i use 10w40 here.

Its your car so do as you please. But in regards to your original post, I would only look for 5w20 oils that certify they meet fords spec. Ford did such a good job with the specification that noone needs to improve on it. This is the major factor in the "wow, 5w20 got such a good oil report". From the ones I have seen MC 5w20 has outperformed Mobil 1 many times.

ford back spec'd the 5w20. that is the reason for the castrol site saying to put 5w20 in your 98 ranger.

I agree Alan.. That's why I like to see what these makers recomend without too much outside regulatory influence. Go to a country And select a vehicle with your engine.. it's fun to see what else is recomended out there.

Mmm, we are getting OT. What would be the minimum standard for a 5w-30 in this engine. imo GC is getting too thick. I'd like to hear what other guys are using in place of 5w-20.

For 10K intervals?
Just use M1 5W30.That stuff used to be borderline 5W30 anyways(don't know about the current stuff though).

I agree with the GC,it's too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back