Alternatives to 5w-20

I'm not starting this thread to have another 20 vs 30 debate. I'm starting it for my own information. As you guys know, I'm getting a car with a Honda engine, specing 20 weight. If I've already decided to use 30, what are good criteria for choosing one? A super-thick 30, even if it was good quality like GC, would be out. I don't think pouring in cheap dino 5w-30 in-a-drum would be ok either. For example the Ford 5w-20 spec is tough on oil. That in mind, is there a minimum quality one should shoot for? Are there any oils to avoid etc??? I think I'll be ok with my Havoline Synth 5w-30 for break-in and Mobil 1 0w-30 after that, but I want to get input, esp from guys whose cars call for 20 weight and I want to hear what they are using and why. ps- If I was buying 5w-20, Mobil Clean looks tempting.

I guess you could use a group 3 like havoline for breakeven but most use dino group 2 and factory fill for 5-10K before going to syn. Wouldn't the 20w get through winter and to summer?

Auto-Union

"Why not use 5w-20 like it calls for?" Is 25 quarts of Mobil 1 0w-30 sitting right here a good reason?

Auto-Union

I don't think the difference between a thin 30 and a 20 is really huge. I's not like I'm using 20w-50.

"If it's a brand new car i would use motorcraft 5w20 syn blend for break-in then changes to mobil." Is there something special about Honda engines that requires a "break in" oil? I would think that most new cars could go straight to synthetic with no leaking or seal conditioning issues. [Confused]

It's funny that one can trust Honda to engineer and make a reliable car enough to buy one however they can't be trusted to make a correct recommendation for the engine oil viscosity.

using M1 0w30 your engine will be fine. i dont see why someone cant decide to use an xw30 instead of an xw20 without getting a bunch of crap from some people. yes xw20 is recommended but if the person wants to use xw30 let him/her. it is their engine and if they want to use a different grade of oil then sobeit. i just checked on that link above and for my neon in austrailia they say use 10w40 or 5w30 but here its 5w30 preferred. so why cant i use 10w40 here.

Its your car so do as you please. But in regards to your original post, I would only look for 5w20 oils that certify they meet fords spec. Ford did such a good job with the specification that noone needs to improve on it. This is the major factor in the "wow, 5w20 got such a good oil report". From the ones I have seen MC 5w20 has outperformed Mobil 1 many times.

Auto-Union

Mmm, we are getting OT. What would be the minimum standard for a 5w-30 in this engine. imo GC is getting too thick. I'd like to hear what other guys are using in place of 5w-20.

For 10K intervals? Just use M1 5W30.That stuff used to be borderline 5W30 anyways(don't know about the current stuff though). I agree with the GC,it's too thick.