alternative to 75w85 gl5 in toyota tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
my Tacoma truck requires using a 75w85 gl5 type gear oil in the differentials, since im limited to using either the Toyota brand gear oil or the redline lightweight 75w85s, what other gear oil would be the best close alternative to those.

I would use (have used) a 75W90 (AMSOIL Severe Gear) and not given it a second thought.

Ravenol makes a 75W85 GL5, about $16/quart on Amazon, if you would like to be absolutely in compliance with Toyota's viscosity recommendation.

Now, if we're talking the 75W in the transfer case, that's a different matter altogether. Then, I would suggest that you skip the $70/quart Toyota oil and use the $16/quart Ravenol 75W which is a different oil than the 75W85 Ravenol above.

https://www.amazon.com/Ravenol-J1C1...mp;sr=8-3&keywords=ravenol+mtf-3+75w

Any good semi-syn or full syn 75w90 will work great.

Even the 75w90 Supertech at walmart has worked well for me.

My Highlander called for the same thing and I used 75w90 Amsoil Severe Gear. No issues. The viscosity is fine in my diff/transfer case.

If you have the Limited Slip Diff in that model you will need to add the LSD additive to standard fluids that don't have it already.

Last edited:
ive read here that using a thinner 75w90 gl5 gear such as Valvoline Synpower , so basically a 75w90 gear oil is a thicker viscosity oil as compared to the 75w85 but not by too much. I been searching for UOA report for the 75w85 oil but I haven't been able to find one.

Transfer and differentials are bumb mechanical components and should take any GL5 fluids without the need for perfection in viscosities

Go ahead and choose M1 75W-90. It will work perfectly. The full synthetic will remain thin enough in cold weather to perform properly, while providing excellent protection

RP 75W90 w/ Synerlec has worked adequately for me for 39k miles.
I bought a six pack of this stuff online @ $15/qt.
It is ridiculously expensive at Pep Boys.
FF was removed at 20k miles with no etch-a-sketch appearance.
I will change out again at 75k miles.

You forgot Motul
smile.gif

Just saw a Taco with 430+ kilo miles on it in a shop here. The owner just came back from a coast-to-coast road trip. He uses Motul 75-85 every 100k miles

im look into MOTUL 75w85, im looking to find a gear oil that is affordable and yet satisfy or closely satisfy what the Toyota requirement is for my truck.

Originally Posted by jrvn
im look into MOTUL 75w85, im looking to find a gear oil that is affordable and yet satisfy or closely satisfy what the Toyota requirement is for my truck.

Affordable and Motul in the same sentence...never thought I would see that!

Seriously, re-read what I posted. I've got a relatively new Tundra. Same specification. No need to overthink the differential oil.

The 75W transfer case oil is an altogether different matter. 75W is a completely different SAE viscosity than 75W90.

From another post in this section:

Originally Posted by Rollins
It was revised in 2005.

http://www.ptplab.net/upfile/201402/13/094319180.pdf

revision years

1998 revision

2005 revision

Interesting what the OEM fluid visc. might have been...probably closer to the old upper limit of 24cSt...

Take a look at the SAE paper.

Forget that weight and just use a 75W-90 GL5 and go on about life. Most Toyota dealers will not even stock that product as they just will use whatever bulk 75W-90 they have on hand for servicing. I have yet to see a reported failure of using the 75W-90 in place of the 75W-85.

As someone already mentioned, going 75W-90 will open up many other doors for a just as good product.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Forget that weight and just use a 75W-90 GL5 and go on about life. Most Toyota dealers will not even stock that product as they just will use whatever bulk 75W-90 they have on hand for servicing. I have yet to see a reported failure of using the 75W-90 in place of the 75W-85.

As someone already mentioned, going 75W-90 will open up many other doors for a just as good product.

+1
So much for correct viscosity grade for gear train transmissions.

I have Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 if the front diff, the rear diff, and the transfer case in my 2013 Tundra.

48k miles and zero issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back