Alternative to 195/55-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

Just had an annual inspection. The mechanic suggested that the tires are good for less than a year mainly due to the rot. One set has mfg of 2814, other does not have mfg printed but bought in 2016, they are good for another year but I may change all. There is good tread left on all of them (I drive less than 4000 miles a year, all city traffic) but minor cracks have started to appear on one pair (one with mfg of 2814). He suggested before the winter sets in, better to change the tires. I have at least 6 months before I 'must' change the tires.

The car comes with 195/55-16 tires. There are not many options available in this size and those available are little expensive than their other counterparts.

Any suggestions on what other sizes I can go with?

Bonus question, I will be replacing one of the rims due to the bent. That will be probably $60 or so. Does it make sense to replace all 4 for 15" rims for tire cost and selection? I am in NY so can't cheap on tires.
The car in question is 06 Sentra (~110K on the odometer) and is in a better condition for its age.

Thanks in advance.

If you have enough room in your wheel wells, you could try 205/55/16 - that's a very popular size with lots of tire choices.

Otherwise, yeah, get 15" steelies and run the OEM size 195/60/15 tires.

Wife bent a rim on a 2015 Chevy Sonic , a few months ago . Tires fine . I ordered a steel rim from amazon.com for $ 50 - $ 60 . So far has worked fine .

There are some good options in 195/55-16, such as:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4

That said, there is nothing wrong with swapping in 15's, and 195/60-15 will give you more options as well as more sidewall. Low-profile tires with no sidewalls are prone to bending rims as well, so going to the 15 size will help with that, too
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4

That said, there is nothing wrong with swapping in 15's, and 195/60-15 will give you more options as well as more sidewall. Low-profile tires with no sidewalls are prone to bending rims as well, so going to the 15 size will help with that, too
smile.gif

Are you sure
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4
are available in 195/55-16? They never popped up when I searched so far. Checking on their website also doesn't give any results.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 seems a great tire on the paper. It is between this one and Altimax RT43 I have to choose (unless someone knows any better tire for summer as well as winter in the similar price range).

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4

smile.gif

Are you sure
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4
are available in 195/55-16? They never popped up when I searched so far. Checking on their website also doesn't give any results.

Vredestein Quatrac 5 seems a great tire on the paper. It is between this one and Altimax RT43 I have to choose (unless someone knows any better tire for summer as well as winter in the similar price range).

Here is the WRG4
smile.gif

I can't find any Celsius listings now, although I swore I saw it before! Unless I entered the size wrong when looking for it, sorry for the mistake!. Maybe they just don't sell it in the US market. I found a listing from UK with the Celsius in that size, but the set of four is about $535 shipped. Celsius 195/55-16 from UK but at that price, you're better off with the Quatrac or WRG4

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

The car comes with 195/55-16 tires. There are not many options available in this size and those available are little expensive than their other counterparts.

Ummmhhh ...

There are 62 tires listed in this size on TireRack ... !

Here is the WRG4
smile.gif

I can't find any Celsius listings now, although I swore I saw it before! Unless I entered the size wrong when looking for it, sorry for the mistake!. Maybe they just don't sell it in the US market. I found a listing from UK with the Celsius in that size, but the set of four is about $535 shipped. Celsius 195/55-16 from UK but at that price, you're better off with the Quatrac or WRG4

Thank you. I asked because I had an eye on Toyo Celsius when Consumer reports reported that it is a pretty good tire for summer and winter together. I am keeping that in my mind for Forester. It will be due in a year or so as well. They are 5 years old now but no rot yet and good treads.
I checked Nokian's website and it gave me 6-7 other tires but not WRG4. I will check it again. Thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back