Alternative Fuels

Status
Not open for further replies.
What price can you get during peak demand times? I remember hearing on the news, prices of 50 cents (canadian) per kw.hr last summer, during the heat wave.

Depends on how much power is available. Usually peak rates are about 6-7c/KWH, but in high demand times it can be as much as 10c. Now I'll be happy whenever we have a drought around here, since most of our power is hydro.
grin.gif

ZmOz,
$50 to $100 per hour at peak load doesn't look like it would cover much in the way of costs, let alone having drivers drive around to collect the stuff.

Down here, there would be another $45 for the Renewable energy certificate that it would generate.

We could go on and on about this all day. Believe me, it's profitable or I wouldn't be doing it.
wink.gif

Keep in mind this is a capitalistic society. As soon as the sources of used oil figure out there is a market for thier used oil their selling price will go up to to remove the "excess" profit. There are professional associations and the word gets around pretty fast.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
We could go on and on about this all day. Believe me, it's profitable or I wouldn't be doing it.
wink.gif

cheers.gif

I wasn't trying to argue against what you're doing, as I personally feel that what you are proposing should be mandatory for any company selling vegetable oil (you sell it, you take it back, and make electricity out of it).

I'd tried the sums down here (although the wholesale price for electricity is 2.5c/kwhr (about 2c US) )

The only way the I could get it up was to send the waste heat back into the fast food factory to preheat/dry product.

Up here the Ontario Government has made the price of electricity less than the cost to produce it! With this kind of meddling it is very difficult to find investors and I'm sure it's causing havoc in the green energy sector.

As for hydrogen, it's just a method to store electricity. It is expensive to produce and you lose about 25% each time you convert it to another form. So some really big nuke plants will have to be put up but politics will make the nuclear (nucular???) production questionable.

What we really need to do is get people to unplug electronics that they aren't using. This "phantom" load takes up the production of about a dozen power plants in North America if I recall correctly. Switching from desktop to laptop computers (effecient do to battery requirements) would also help a whole lot.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back