Alternate battery size to H5/47 that will fit?

Walmart doesn't have those sizes so what is a close alternative? Has anyone used a 26R which looks to have similar dimensions? Its $49 vs. over $100 for other brands.

This is the chart I always refer to when replacing batteries:

https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

Measure the battery tray and find the largest battery that will fit, is the approach I usually take. Often times the battery tray is big enough that you can fit a larger battery than what was originally equipped, or you could possibly go taller for example. Bigger is usually better, but don't get too carried away comparing CCA ratings if you're comparing two similar sized batteries. That can mean thinner (less durable) plates which increases surface area, which in turn increases CCA. I feel that reserve capacity is a more meaningful metric.

Or you can simply use the chart to find the closest match to the H5 you're looking for.

It's also important to make sure the terminals are oriented correctly. Google the group size if you're not sure. Some sizes are available in both configurations, with the reverse orientation denoted with a suffix such as "F" or "R".

Last edited:
FWIW the 26 is shorter in length by about an inch, but will physically fit otherwise. It will likely have lower CCA and RC ratings than the 47, but shouldn't be a deal breaker. The 26R has the positive terminal on the right side which matches the 47.

The group 47 has the terminals recessed into the case. That might be the only stumbling block. You'll want to make sure the battery terminals have adequate length as they'll sit up a little higher on the 26.

What kind of car is this going in? I know on many of the VW/Audi that specify H5 can be upgraded with a H6-H9 battery with little to no modification. It's due to cost cutting and meeting the minimum amount, so a vehicle equipped with more features will have a bigger battery installed at the factory. For example, the gas VW Jetta will come with a H5 battery but the diesel Jetta will come with the H8 battery. The only mod required is to move the clamp further down the battery box.

Fiat 500. The Walmart 26R for $49 would be great but they say it's out of stock. There is a Diehard Red for $71 with the same 1 year warranty.

Back