Altering VW dealership's service plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle in question is a '12 VW CC with a turbo-charged 1.8L inline 4 16V and 7 speed DSG. As part of the purchase, the dealer is offering a 45,000 km/3 year service plan free of charge. Oil drain intervals are 15,000 km/12 months. I'm feeling uncomfortable about two things:

1. I've been told they use Castrol sourced from Dubai, and I don't want any Middle Eastern sourced oil in my engine, period. I've seen enough of what that garbage does to engines.

2. Our Euro II gas has a sulfur content of 500 ppm. I'm going to bite the bullet and fuel up with Euro IV gas (25 ppm sulfur limit) at 4 times the price of Euro II. But I still feel 15,000 km is a long interval, because of all the fine dust that goes through the air filter and raises silicon levels in the oil.

The oil requirement specified in the manual is VW 502.00 rated SAE 5W-40, and the oil I've chosen to stick with is Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 meeting:

- API SN/CF
- ACEA A3-08/B4-08
- BMW Longlife-01
- MB-Approval 229.5
- Porsche A40
- Renault RN 0700, 0710
- VW 502.00/505.00

Although unnecessary, I'm planning on ditching the factory fill at 5,000 km and my fill at 10,000 km then changing the oil based on oil analysis.

Unfortunately, warranty requirements specify the vehicle has to be serviced by the dealer. If anything goes wrong with it, and the vehicle's serviced elsewhere, they literally cancel the warranty coverage.

I'm looking to meet the service manager and have a word with him about my engine oil concerns. I'm fine with everything else specified in the service plan, as all the fluids are sourced from Germany. But I do not want that Dubai sourced garbage in my engine whatever the cost.

Just wondering if anybody's done something similar, discussing oil drain intervals based on oil analysis with the service manager, and how they've gone about it? Just want this car to last as long as possible, and want to use quality products and follow decent intervals right off the bat. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Similar maintanence requirements in the states. 12 months, 10,000 miles. I talked to the dealership where I purchased my car basically explaining how I feel more comfortable with a 6 month, 5000 mile OCI based on my short trip driving. They of course gave me a "even better!" response but I hope that tone doesn't change if indeed I need to bring the vehicle in for warranty work.

I doubt if you bring them the correct spec'ed oil OF YOUR CHOICE they will have a problem using it...

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
I doubt if you bring them the correct spec'ed oil OF YOUR CHOICE they will have a problem using it...

This is the best answer.

As long as the oil is on the VW approved list they cannot refuse to install it and also keep the warranty in effect.

Thanks for the input. Will be interesting to hear what the service manager says about decreasing drain intervals.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Vehicle in question is a '12 VW CC with a turbo-charged 1.8L inline 4 16V and 7 speed DSG. As part of the purchase, the dealer is offering a 45,000 km/3 year service plan free of charge. Oil drain intervals are 15,000 km/12 months. I'm feeling uncomfortable about two things:

1. I've been told they use Castrol sourced from Dubai, and I don't want any Middle Eastern sourced oil in my engine, period. I've seen enough of what that garbage does to engines.
So Castrol has a quality control problem in the MidEast?

2. Our Euro II gas has a sulfur content of 500 ppm. I'm going to bite the bullet and fuel up with Euro IV gas (25 ppm sulfur limit) at 4 times the price of Euro II. But I still feel 15,000 km is a long interval, because of all the fine dust that goes through the air filter and raises silicon levels in the oil.

The oil requirement specified in the manual is VW 502.00 rated SAE 5W-40, and the oil I've chosen to stick with is Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 meeting:

- API SN/CF
- ACEA A3-08/B4-08
- BMW Longlife-01
- MB-Approval 229.5
- Porsche A40
- Renault RN 0700, 0710
- VW 502.00/505.00

Although unnecessary, I'm planning on ditching the factory fill at 5,000 km and my fill at 10,000 km then changing the oil based on oil analysis.

Unfortunately, warranty requirements specify the vehicle has to be serviced by the dealer. If anything goes wrong with it, and the vehicle's serviced elsewhere, they literally cancel the warranty coverage.

I'm looking to meet the service manager and have a word with him about my engine oil concerns. I'm fine with everything else specified in the service plan, as all the fluids are sourced from Germany. But I do not want that Dubai sourced garbage in my engine whatever the cost.

Just wondering if anybody's done something similar, discussing oil drain intervals based on oil analysis with the service manager, and how they've gone about it? Just want this car to last as long as possible, and want to use quality products and follow decent intervals right off the bat. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

So Castrol has a quality control problem in the Mid East?

- API SN/CF
- ACEA A3-08/B4-08
- BMW Longlife-01
- MB-Approval 229.5
- Porsche A40
- Renault RN 0700, 0710
- VW 502.00/505.00

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back