Altered California license plates?

Legible plate is the owners responsibility, whether it's peeling, covered or otherwise not legible.
Here in NJ the law says rear plate must be legible from 50 ft., illuminated by a white light and no less than 12'' or more than 48'' from road surface.
Peeled plate is ticket bait for Barney Fife when passing through Possum Butt.

Of those I have seen, it does look like the white background paint has peeled off the primer or the aluminum plate. So I think it's probably crap paint and/or a crap paint job, along with oven temperatures for a decade or more. But what do I know.

You mean California allows you to advertise for an arms manufacturer? I'm surprised Senator Frankenstein hasn't put a stop to that.

1631655776223.jpg

My NY plate was a white & blue and started with an 'E'. That is the series of NY plates that peeled. My plate was down to bare metal. No paint left. Never got around to mounting the front plate. Finally sent in a picture of the peeled plate to o DMV and they sent me new plates. Really I was avoiding having to get a orange & blue plate that I felt was ugly.

Even in NY, you see a ton of the org empire plates - white/blue lettering peeling (beginning letter A-E) and sometimes it looks like a piece of aluminum on your front bumper they get so bad. Even now with the newer style (letter F-J) "older" yellow and blue plates i've seen they look like they are 40 years old, with no reflective coating, no paint, but bare aluminum, or they "flake". We are now up to K with yet another new style plate.

While in the city i noticed more then one car that people sprayed the plates with MORE reflective coating, to the point it almost looks like sand on the plate, if you look for it you can notice it no problem, and i'd assume that to beat the red light cameras and tolls.

Here are a couple letters of my current NY empire white and blue plate from 2009. You can see the peeling, but its not bad... yet. I just am very careful power washing the plates..
I believe if the police can read your plate from 60 feet away it's legal even if peeling.

My feeling was DMV knows where I live and knows my white and blue plate starts with an "E" and likely it's peeling. If they want me to have a readable plate they should just send me one without asking.

Back