Already replaced shock mounts and shocks but intermittent clunk noise continues

A few weeks ago I had an intermittent clunking noise in the right rear suspension, seemingly worse when turning left over bumps or jerking the car left hard (Kia Optima 2012). It almost sounds like a popping sound. I've brought it in and had the shocks and shock mounts replaced so far but the noise has returned again. Almost every time I set an appointment the noise disappears around the day I am scheduled so the shop has to be beginning to think I'm hearing things. He said he checked the sway bar links and pulled on the tire and everything feels tight. What do you recommend next?

Chassis noises are always difficult to diagnose. Before you shoot the parts cannon at it check these things;

1. muffler mounts
2. exhaust heat shields
3. wheel bearings
4. loose caliper bolts
5. junk in the trunk
6. loose spare tire tie down
7. loose jack/tool kit
Keep in mind that body noises from other parts of the vehicle can make sounds that are telegraphed to strange places. e.g. loose seat tracks.
If you want to do the sleuthing yourself for the satisfaction get a set of chassis ears

The links were done last year and they said they seemed good.
I've seen aftermarket links wear out very quickly. They can be hard to diagnose when loaded.

In my experience, a worn stabilizer-bar end link will make a knocking noise when the car goes slowly over a parking-lot speed bump, whereas a stabilizer-bar bushing will make a thumping noise.

Back