Alpine R Series or Focal Universal Integration Series (5x7 - 6x8)

Opinions?

Music is pretty much anything, might be Audiobooks one second and classic rock the next then onto country.... I would have to be in a special mood to listen to Techno or Rap though...

I am not looking for studio performance but i would like reasonably accurate sound reproduction in the range of human hearing... I was once VERY into car audio, but this isn't that... I want simple and good, not complicated and great.

I've tried Crutchfields speaker compare but I don't have reference headphones so it isn't that useful. The Alpines sound a little better on most things to me using that though.

There is sufficient clean power to drive either one... No other speakers are really under consideration since I've heard MB Quart is no longer worth a flip.

+1

OP is very vague with what he wants/currently has.
For all we know, he could have a base model 10-15 year old Ford with factory speakers.
🤷‍♂️

The size should narrow it down to probably an almost 20 year old mid range Ford with factory speakers. Or maybe an exact model if you are viewing signatures.

The size should narrow it down to probably an almost 20 year old mid range Ford with factory speakers. Or maybe an exact model if you are viewing signatures.
In that case almost anything that's from any reputable company should show a noticeable improvement (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine etc.)
Are you planning on running an amp? How many speakers are you looking to replace? (IIRC, that Ranger should have 4 factory speakers).

I had Focal ES 165 Elite K2 Power 6.5" two-way separates and the sound was tremendous.

Thanks.

In that case almost anything that's from any reputable company should show a noticeable improvement (Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine etc.)
Are you planning on running an amp? How many speakers are you looking to replace? (IIRC, that Ranger should have 4 factory speakers).

Ive narrowed it down to the two in the title.

Alpine R Series or Focal Universal Integration Series (5x7 - 6x8)​

I'm leaning toward the Alpine. Alpine calls theirs 6x8 and Focal calls theirs 5x7.

Probably all 4 ( you're correct it has one in each door, and it has 4 doors) and 50x4 RMS with DPP. "There is sufficient clean power to drive either one".

What I'm looking for here is specific experience with these two speaker manufacturers and if theres an appreciable difference in sound between them.

They are both Coaxial speakers, components goes too far toward complicated. They are similarly priced.

Back in the day Focal was considered a very high quality speaker, not sure how true that holds today, both Boston and MB seem to have fallen from grace.

Don’t overlook the Pioneer A series. I just got a pair of 4-way 6x9 in my Ram, amd I’ve been very pleased. The truck onky has two speakers, just in the doors. They sound really good.

mine are:

6x8:

5x7 they don’t seem to offer, though perhaps another size fits via an adapter?

Specofics on the speakers you have listed, even if someone has experience one, is highly unlikely to have done an A/B test on both.

Alpine Type R

The Focal Integration are entry level and not indicative of what one would normally encounter when going with a set of Focal speakers.

Alpine Type R

The Focal Integration are entry level and not indicative of what one would normally encounter when going with a set of Focal speakers.

Thank you. The switch seems like a possible failure point and I think the red is going to be visible through the grills.

Don’t overlook the Pioneer A series. I just got a pair of 4-way 6x9 in my Ram, amd I’ve been very pleased. The truck onky has two speakers, just in the doors. They sound really good.

5x7 they don’t seem to offer, though perhaps another size fits via an adapter?

Specofics on the speakers you have listed, even if someone has experience one, is highly unlikely to have done an A/B test on both.

I'm not really a Pioneer fan. If there was another brand in contention it would likely be Infinity Kappa.

Most companies call these either 5x7 or 6x8 they don't usually sell both (maybe never sell both). This size is commonly used in Fords. Yes others will fit with adapters, but it is that simple / complicated thing again.

I'm not looking for an A/B test.

I will probably just go with Alpine.

Size doesn't narrow it down much since 5x7 and 6x8 are two different sizes. If the 6x8 fits, then use them and don't even bother with 5x7's.

And, you must set a budget. What is the budget?
Are these for the front doors, back doors, or doing both?

Alpine R-S68 would be a good easy choice.

Last edited:
I have the Focal integration series. The sound is excellent but it truly is meant as part of a complete system. The sound is crystal clear as expected from focal, but the bass response isn't very good since they truly are meant to go with a subwoofer. If you are just replacing the speakers and nothing else, you are probably better off with the Alpine.

I have installed Focal Integration in a couple cars because they were the easiest to get in there -- didn't have to deal with brackets or fabricate my own. The tweeters were always harsh and I always regretted it. The Alpine Type R is a better speaker when installed and powered properly.

I have the Focal integration series. The sound is excellent but it truly is meant as part of a complete system. The sound is crystal clear as expected from focal, but the bass response isn't very good since they truly are meant to go with a subwoofer. If you are just replacing the speakers and nothing else, you are probably better off with the Alpine.
Good feedback.

I doubt I will do a sub, if i do it will be quite small (I'm thinking one of the underseat models) and at a probably much later date.

I have installed Focal Integration in a couple cars because they were the easiest to get in there -- didn't have to deal with brackets or fabricate my own. The tweeters were always harsh and I always regretted it. The Alpine Type R is a better speaker when installed and powered properly.

Also good feedback - I would rather have low end than high end, and I do not want harsh.

Thank you gentlemen.

To Bring this to a close, I went with the Alpine, they sound very good and are plenty loud.

R-S68.jpeg

Back