Alpine loop and installed new winch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday I spent taking my bumper off installing the winchand bumper, and taking the bumper off and reinstalling the winch and bumper ( lonh painfull story/instructions were very wrong on sequence for the l brackets that hold the winch plate to the bumper.

This morning I got up and decided to try to do the alpine loop in one afternoon. I left the house in Durango at 1300 and got home at 2200. Not bad. Here are some pics.

I went to lake city via Cinnamon pass and returned via Engineer pass.....

One of the Friday afternoon fight with the winch.
JulyAlpineloop019.jpg

OK let's put that behind me... Now the fun stuff.

JulyAlpineloop045.jpg

JulyAlpineloop044.jpg

Speaking of ruins of past industries this Relic of a former industrial giant was on the side of the road abandoned and alone at 12k feet
JulyAlpineloop093.jpg

Purty!

Looks like a road a high-ground-clearance car could pass if the driver had common sense, unless there are places that get much rougher.

There are places I didn't photograph that are much rougher but I wasn't stopping for a photograph on a solo tour in rough switchbacks. I have wheel the con the glade and Katemecy in Texas and to be honest I am tickeld to have all these jeep trails available. Call them mild but theyare there More than I can possibley due in a year right in my back yard!
And no with the 2-3' drops on the switchbacks there are no cars or anything without a low range that could make it. Otherwise it is mostly a scenic drive That will turn nasty in a heartbeat with a thunderstorm or an inattentive or inexperienced driver regardless of the vehicle. My Jeeps a manual, I would not trust someone who has acrophobia to operate it on this route. :)

Anyone is welcome to try it in an improper vehicle but the recovery fees and abandonment fines can get steep.

Anyhow I qwas mostly scouting and marking on my GPS lakes and potential camping spots for a future trip with a group.

I just looked to make sure noone was there who needed assistance. . They obviously hitched a ride to Lake city to use the phone. (no cell phone reception within 3 hours of the location.)

The hood up just means it no worky.. I suspect somewthing got jarred lose. The road is very very roughand the IFS suspension was probably bottoming out alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back