Alpine loop and installed new winch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To tie this in to your other thread, no WONDER your OLM called for a short OCI! Thats some rough running!

Awesome photos. Some of those roads look a bit nerve-racking - what happens if you DO encounter a vehicle coming the other way?

Uphill travel has the right of way, You find the widest spot and pull over as far as possible and safe(I would rather rub doors with someone than get to close to the edge in some spots. This is not a good place to come face to face with a full size vehicle.
Mostly ATV's, Jeeps and there was a Toyota FJ cruiser run going on too, Those things are hard to see out of IMO, especially where 3 point turns on switchbacks is required.

Fun Trip, I plan on taking it again but hitting more of the side trails to more isolated sites
. I have had a few 4x4's and this is the first one I have taken my time on and started with protection and recovery gear before the mostly cosmetic lifts and tires. I will be upgrading the suspension since the jeep is getting heavier and the stock springs are sagging and concentrating on solid driveline parts. Stuff you can't see but stuff that improves reliability.

Looks like good fun, I like to do some light off roading too with the focus on the area you're driving into than how technical the trail is...

I agree. I enjoy technical driving but sometimes I just like to cruise a nice trailand enjoy a good view and take in the history. Planning on Moab and possible the Mormon Trail this fall.

Another "Farmingtonian" on here, eh? Howdy!

Just got back from Silverton yesterday.
Did Imogene pass (13,114' elv.)
Last weekend was BlackBear pass.

BlackBear
DSCF3662.jpg

DSCF3669.jpg

DSCF3713.jpg

DSCF3772.jpg

DSCF3779.jpg

DSCF3800.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2648.jpg

DSCF3854.jpg

DSCF3930.jpg

DSCF3931.jpg

Last edited:
IMOGENE

DSCF3962.jpg

DSCF3982.jpg

DSCF3987.jpg

DSCF4012.jpg

DSCF4009.jpg

DSCF4022.jpg

DSCF4025.jpg

Imogene pass is the second highest drivable pass in Colorado.
It is the highest in the sanjuan mountains at 13,114'.

For the bitog fans the Cherokee runs PP 10w30 and a factory Mopar/ Purolator filter.......
55.gif

Last edited:
Good looking scenery and Jeep! Those switch back shots gave me a shiver though... I've done a few little trails near me but nothing with those kind of consequences if you mess up!

I always read trail guides before I even think about venturing off road. I go to www.traildamage.com to figure out if what I want to do is sane. On some of these trails there is no room for error and if you go without a spotter or some extensive mirror manipulation you risk serious injury.

I learned the hard way by taking a trail outside of Boulder (Caribou 4WD Route) looking for a remote camp site and having a miserable time getting stuck in heinous rock wash and switchbacks that were extremely tight even for a jeep. The best part was when I was within a mile of the end of the trail (after several hours and nearly 1/2 a tank of fuel) there was a section that had been washed out and was only partly backfilled with river rock. It was night time and raining so I just did a 3 wheel hop over that part and prayed to g o d that I didn't roll over the side of the mountain.

Traildamage is a great site for offroading info.
I have several trailguide books also.
bushducks.com is a good rescource too.

Ive asked a lot of the local Jeep/4x4 guys about it as well.
One guy told me BB was fairly easy, just intimidating and not much room for error.
He was right, as the Cherokee had no problems at all with BB.
In fact, right behind us was a bone stock Geo Tracker!
Even had the 215-75-15 whitewall tires! LOL!
My freind just took the one turn a bit too tight.
Its better to take them wide and make a few backups.

I think the Cherokee did a bit better with flex as it has the "offroad" package" with the rear swaybar delete option.

One caution for anybody doing this trail though.(BlackBear pass)
If it is raining.....DO NOT DO THIS TRAIL.
It has good grip in the dry, but there is a lot of loose dirt over hard pack.
This trail would be EXTREEMLY hazerdous in a thunderstorm.
In fact that is how several people were killed there a few years ago. :-(

Last edited:
Is that the Black Bear Road C.W. McCall sang about?
"You don't have to be crazy to drive this road, but it helps."

Awesome photos!

Great shots.. I had to move last month so I haven't been back up to the trails, maybe one more trip...This weekend is the BLM glade clean up so it won;t be this weekend.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Is that a Garmin GPS? It looks similar to mine.

Yes the NUVI 720 or something like that with the SD card and some great features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back