Alonso to Indy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this, and couldn't be more excited! This is very good news for INDYCAR. Maybe he'll get fed up with McLaren the rest of the year and stick it out with INDYCAR?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
I just wish they would take all of that aero junk off the back end.

I think they are doing exactly what you want. Take another look at the rendition I posted above. The watermarks outline the current car. Much, much tider at the rear. It's a beautiful, clean car.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Hope he doesn't have any engine problems and at least gets to finish the race.

I sit on the outside of Turn 1. I hope he qualifies up front so he doesn't have to deal with the maelstrom of the three-wide pack trying to fit into the first turn. This is the most incredible 30 sec in sport. TV has never been able to capture the moment.

The engines have been very reliable. I haven't watched LB yet but if somebody's Honda grenaded it would be unusual to the point of suspecting some kind of abuse.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

I think they are doing exactly what you want. Take another look at the rendition I posted above. The watermarks outline the current car. Much, much tider at the rear. It's a beautiful, clean car.

It does look good. I was confused about the outline. Judging by that it looks like they were going to keep it.

The Kardashians are going away next year. I am so excited for this. I love drivers running different series. Now we just need to get RoGro and Ricciardo in Xfinity cars like they hinted at last year. SHR has an Xfinity program now with 2 cars and Dale Jr said that Ricciardo has a seat anytime he wants to try a car.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Wow! From Mclaren to Indy. How the mighty have fallen. (if even for just one race)

I don't look at it that way. The Indy 500 among the most iconic races in all of motorsport.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Wow! From Mclaren to Indy. How the mighty have fallen. (if even for just one race)

I don't look at it that way. The Indy 500 among the most iconic races in all of motorsport.

True. It ain't what it used to be, but no race (or race series) is anymore.

He's moving from a spec race to a kit car race. With all the practice he'll get we'll see Alonso race against equal competition. This alone will raise the interest level in both the 500 and that race around the rich people's paradise to see his replacement it that under achieving car.

Maybe Alonso won't return.

Ha! Look at Montoya. He went from McLaren Mercedes to ARCA. That's like going from a 100 ft. Yacht to an Aluminum skiff in front of Cabela's.

I went to my first 500 in 1966. I've been every year since the late 70's. Not sure what you detractors want from a race but the actual racing on the track has never been better. F1 fans (me included) often complain about a lack of passing. Well, that's what you're going to get from a constructors' series. One team will hit on an edge and dominate, sometimes for years. Before Mercedes it was Red Bull. Before RB, it was someone else. It's the nature of the beast. Indy was like this back in the inventive days in the 60's and 70's but you had runaway winners when a team discovered an unanticipated advantage.

You can complain that Indycar isn't THIS or isn't THAT but it's pretty hard to complain about the product they create, especially on ovals, which is their legacy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back