Almost killed by a pickle.

I have been into sweet bread and butter chip pickles. As I am getting older I will now be more careful to chew my food better because its sounds bad that he was killed choking on a sweet pickle. It was bad I am not going to give any details but the chocking was real real bad. My girlfriend works at a retirement home and knows the heimlich move, or I may not being telling the story, someone else would have to. Oh yea and my girl friend had just had a disc operation 3 weeks ago but she is ok after almost picking me up doing the heimlich. Be careful something like a pickle could kill you.
I have read the more people choke eating a hot dog than any other food.

I have had to administer the Heimlich twice. Someone who is actually choking will be unable to speak or cough, so you have to pay attention to that.

Someone who is alone and choking can give themself the Heimlich by using the back of a chair. I don't know if I would be calm enough to be able to do it to myself without pannicking.

Be careful something like a pickle could kill you.
Thanks for the "heads up". I have some health issues and one of them is difficulty swallowing. Even liquid gets stuck.

Many years ago, as a young and fit man, I almost drowned. I am a very good swimmer, but had thyroid related AFIB and could not catch my breath. I could not get enough air for energy to swim and started going under and gulping sea water. The close little waves were beating me up badly and I waved my arms a couple of times to my family. They thought I was saying "hi". I must say, it really sucked. I don't panic, and I was able to use my toes to push on the seafloor (which was about a foot down) to get my mouth above the waterline, to get air, without using as much energy as treading water. I slowly recovered and was able to get in.

I don't swim in the ocean anymore. I was seconds from the end and the only thing that saved me was the fact that it was not too deep and I could bounce up between waves.

Took me 30 minutes to catch my breath. I found a new cardiologist who solved the problem. Have not had an issue since.

Last edited:
Back