Almost gave myself a tire sidewall failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swapped on my Jeep's winter tires with higher backspacing wheels (4.5 to 5.5). The wheel track is much narrower as the wheels stick in farther.

Put the tires on last night.

Today, I was checking the tires on my parents' Focuscape and noticed this when I took a look at the Jeep.

Real lucky here!

Bet that would have made an interesting noise and smell about the time the sidewall let go ...

Edit
The leaf spring is touching the tire.

nVq2qaP.jpg

Crazy.

One of my friends in high school had a 1996 model XJ. It had the same leaf fail in exactly the same way. Lots of shavings, but no blowout. The tire was still holding air, but was totally done for and on the verge of blowout.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
That's the Overload Spring, Check that the U-bolts are tight after straightening the Overload.

+1, spring is out of alignment.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I
Today, I was checking the tires on my parents' Focuscape

What's a Focuscape?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I
Today, I was checking the tires on my parents' Focuscape

What's a Focuscape?

The current generation of Escape.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
That's the Overload Spring, Check that the U-bolts are tight after straightening the Overload.

+1, spring is out of alignment.

This spring pack has soft mains for good articulation off road and the overload for towing. If Iget a lot of articulation off road (And I did quite a bit of off roading this summer), they will fan out like that.

For better articulation, the overload isn't clamped.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
After you fix the spring it should work.

Knocked it back with a hammer and its good now.I wont be doing any offroading anytime soon so I will be good for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back