allison trans disengages loses drive cold morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone complained about the limit of characters allowed in the subject line? we should be allowed to use more than 50 characters.

2006 gmc sierra 2500hd, 8.1L gas engine with allison 1000 6-speed automatic transmission. truck drives fine never a problem until now...
cold morning that is around 5°F (-15°C) this has happened twice now.
I start the truck and usually let it idle for a minute before shifting into drive, by then engine rpm has come down from 1000 to 800 rpm. when truck is hot then idle is 600 rpm.
Putting the shifter into D, the trans engages and i start moving forward then within 5-10 feet i lose power to the wheels like I had shifted into neutral. when this happens if i'm on the gas or give it gas, the engine will rev up to 1500 rpm like it was in neutral. there is no noise and everything sounds/feels fine except i'm not moving.
The first time this happened less than a week ago, for about 10 seconds i kept giving it gas and engine rev'd to 1500 with no power to wheels, I then put in neutral and rolled backward the 10 feet i had gone, back to flat spot on driveway, and put it in park. my driveway is about 40 feet going up hill and steep about 30° however i had not hit the steep part when problem happened, just enough to allow me to roll backwards.
Once in park, I noticed the DIC display (i think it's called) that tells odometer, trip, fuel economy stuff say something about transmission shifting problem, but i forget the words. I shut truck off, waited 5 seconds, restarted, idled for 20 seconds, then left normally getting up driveway no problem. This morning, put in drive and after about 2 seconds going 10 feet i lost power to rear wheels while still on the flat spot of driveway (so pretty sure angle of truck not a factor) this time i noticed the yellow light under the D in PRNDM1 I think blinked then it went out. I shifted to park, and within a couple seconds the yellow light reappeared under P, and this time i did not get any warning in the DIC display. I let it idle for 30 seconds in park, did not shut engine off, held rpm's at 1500 for a little bit, everything sounds/feels fine. shift to drive and leave no problem. This is at 8am truck sitting outside all night, review mirror says outside temp is 5°F which was correct. what would cause this?

i bought truck few years ago having 75k miles, now has 95k miles. within the first year of having it around 80k miles i had dropped pan and replaced the filter in there, along with the external spin on, and refilled with napa brand dex6 atf. old atf looked, smelled, felt fine. transmission has never shown signs of leaks, and last i checked atf level was in acceptable range. and within last year around 90k miles i replaced the spin on filter. When i did that initial trans service dropping pan i put the transgo jr kit in that's recommended for the 2006 allison 6-speed, never found anybody say bad things about that other than it does next to nothing the only thing it really does is raise line pressure some X psi which is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. however what i did notice and i'm not sure if caused by transgo jr kit was after installing it on cold mornings (less than 40°F) first time shift into drive it would be harsh and forceful engagement if shifted into drive not long after start. but say if i drove 10 feet, shifted to park, then back into drive the engagement was normal like it would be any other time above 40°F. Or if i let the truck idle for 10-15 minutes then it would not shift into gear harsh.
hope that's enough info, i'm pretty sure the main cause is the extreme cold weather but would like to know why.

Last edited:
Looks like you are one of the founding members here!

I drove a 99 F150 the other night and it was cold, 20-30f, and i gave it a little too much gas and it revved up like you are experiencing. I also experienced this with an old Dakota I had, but that was after I had adjusted the bands and went to synthetic ATF.

Good luck, or, just take it slow and easy when cold.

Sounds something like the issue I had when it was -25C here with the Charger. A fluid change (and proper fluid level) resolved the issue.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sounds something like the issue I had when it was -25C here with the Charger. A fluid change (and proper fluid level) resolved the issue.

Did you retest it?

change the trans filter and get it from the dealer a/c delco put correct fluid in and everything should be fine..Over the years i had the same problems with a couple of different transmissions using aftermarket filters. Try this soon before there is damage and let me know how it works.

As others said try a pan drop, change the fluid and filter. Use an OEM filter, make sure you have the fluid level spot on.

Guys, he's got around 15k miles on a fluid/filter change... if an Allison needs another change in 15k miles, it's in trouble.

Document ID: 2528440
#PIP4379D: Delayed Or No Drive And Or Delayed Or No
Reverse With DTCs Range Inhibit - (Sep 7, 2010)
This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIP4379C.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Customer may comment on a delayed or no engagement into drive and or delayed or no
engagement into reverse and or a range inhibit with any one of or a combination of the following
DTC's P0701, P0751, P0756, P0761, P0843, P0848, P0873, P0877 or P0894. This condition may be
more pronounced in cold climates during a cold start.
Recommendation/Instructions:
P0701, P0751, P0756, P0761, P0843, P0848, P0873, P0877 or P0894 could possibly indicate no or
excessively low pump pressure as a result of a no prime or loss of prime condition within the
transmission pump. When any of the above DTC's are accompanied by a P0701 begin
troubleshooting with the SI for P0701 first. Be sure to follow all diagnostic steps. With any of the
above listed DTC's follow the SI fluid checking procedure to PROPERLY check the transmission fluid
level using the Hot Check Procedure. Low fluid level may cause one of or a combination of the
listed DTC's to set, particularly during a cold ambient and cold vehicle start. In cold climates,
ensure the fluid level is at the top of the HOT band.

DTC P0701, P0751, P0756, P0761, P0843, P0848, P0873, P0877 can set by the following: fluid
service/filter change, transmission service involving removing the pan, low fluid level caused by
leaks, or after long periods of storage.
Note: If the fluid level has been properly checked using the HOT check procedure listed in SI and
any of the DTCs reset during a cold start inspect the internal suction filter for possible cracks.
Subject: Delayed or No Drive And or Delayed or No Reverse With DTC’s,
Range Inhibit
Models: 2007-2011 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2010 Chevrolet Kodiak
2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
2007-2011 GMC Sierra
2003-2010 GMC Topkick
2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic
Equipped with The Allison LCT1000 Transmission RPO M74 or MW7
© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Document ID: 2528440 Page 1 of 2
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2528440&from=nb 10/1/2010DTC P0894 diagnostic's will run during NLT (neutral lock turbine). During NLT the transmission
applies 3, 5 and Reverse clutch and 2, 6 clutch, in conjunction with Low & Reverse clutch already
applied to lock turbine shaft. This feature is only active in combination when engine elevated idle is
active to shorten engine and cab warm up time. This feature is initiated if transmission sump
temperature is greater than -25°C (-13°F) and the engine coolant temperature (ECT) is greater
than -40°C (-40°F). If the transmission sump temperature is greater than 60°C (140°F) or the
engine coolant temperature is greater than 60°C (140°F), the NLT feature will terminate.
Important: Replacement of the TCM will not likely correct any of the above DTC's or low main line
pressure.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition
exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be
performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform
these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the
proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how
to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or
that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit
from the information.
WE SUPPORT
VOLUNTARY
TECHNICIAN
CERTIFICATION
Document ID: 2528440 Page 2 of 2
http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2528440&from=nb 10/1/2010

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Did you retest it?

Yup, should have updated the thread. It has been perfect since.

thanks for that document info eric,
forgot to mention that i also had no DTC's stored after both instances, checking with an innova 3160b.
and in the dash cluster i think the wording was something about "range inhibit" now that i saw those words mentioned in that document you posted.

when i did the fluid and filter change 15k or so miles ago, i used allison spin on filter and allison internal filter, they were not aftermarket. the truck is not used hard and tows light loads for short trips so i doubt i need another fluid change.

and with that document saying ensure fluid is filled to the hot mark when in cold climates, i looked up volumetric change calculator and for 4 gallons of oil (assuming 16 qts is around total atf capacity) and there is a 1 qt volume change between 0°F and 100°F. so i will probably add a qt of atf when i get a chance, my guess is it's most likely fluid level and maybe sucking dry for that brief instance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
thanks for that document info eric,
forgot to mention that i also had no DTC's stored after both instances, checking with an innova 3160b.
and in the dash cluster i think the wording was something about "range inhibit" now that i saw those words mentioned in that document you posted.

when i did the fluid and filter change 15k or so miles ago, i used allison spin on filter and allison internal filter, they were not aftermarket. the truck is not used hard and tows light loads for short trips so i doubt i need another fluid change.

and with that document saying ensure fluid is filled to the hot mark when in cold climates, i looked up volumetric change calculator and for 4 gallons of oil (assuming 16 qts is around total atf capacity) and there is a 1 qt volume change between 0°F and 100°F. so i will probably add a qt of atf when i get a chance, my guess is it's most likely fluid level and maybe sucking dry for that brief instance.

That's what was assumed happened to mine. That when it was cold, there wasn't enough fluid to satisfy the pump. The change "fixed" it because the level was corrected.

i finally got around to checking the atf level properly,
with the atf fluid somewhere around 50 to 80 degrees fahrenheight it was just at the top of the cross hatch mark in the cold region. on the dipstick there is about an inch after the cold section before the cross hatches for the hot section. so most likely it was low fluid level, probably due to last time i replaced just the spin on filter, the fluid level was acceptable for temps above 32F it seems.
so i added a quart and a half today,
don't know the next time we'll have 5 degree weather so if i don't reply to this consider problem fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back