Allison C3 transmission oil

Hi all,

I would like a discussion about Allison C3 approved oil for use in a Volvo loader transmission, particularly about 15w40 engine oils vs like an ATF. If I understand correctly, the TES 439 is the newest standard which covers the C3 approval. What are the pros/cons of using engine oil vs an ATF, (other than only needing 1 oil on the shelf). This is a high hour transmission if that makes any difference.

I was thinking of just going with Rottella t4 or Mobil Delvac, unless somebody gives me a good reason not to.

thanks

If this loader is operated in a cold climate, you'll be much happier with ATF, because it will flow much better.

If this loader is operated in a cold climate, you'll be much happier with ATF, because it will flow much better.
That was one consideration I did have, but it does get used in the heat of the summer, so I wasn't sure how much consideration I would give to the season.

I have run machinery hydraulics with standard viscosity hydraulic fluid that were dog slow in the winter. Replace the standard viscosity with low viscosity and the hydraulics respond much better.

Back