Allen sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to change trans oil on the Jetta, and I need a 17mm Allen for the job. I see cheapo 1/2" drives on Amazon, but for 2x the price I could get several other sizes too. Any reason to buy an assortment, or should I go for just the size I need? I have a 7mm for brakes already (and a couple more around that size). I don't what other large sizes I might have some future use for.

Hello, You said, "I see cheapo 1/2" drives on Amazon, but for 2x the price I could get several other sizes too."

OK, cheapo times 2 probably isn't much. Is 17mm included in the set? What other sizes are included in the set?
Get the set.

Do you have the pump necessary to fill the sump? I believe your car has no dipstick; therefor no tube.

Also, a big, stand-alone 17mm allen wrench is a toolbox classic. Kira

Neiko is the best inexpensive brand you'll find on Amazon. I'm a diesel semi mechanic. I have my expensive tools at work and cheaper ones at home. I bought a Neiko triple square socket set for German vehicles and am impressed by the price to quality ratio.

Same size for the TC on the Jeep; in your place I'd just get the one - as you said, no need for the other large ones.

Harbor Freight has sets for cheap. Nothing that you'll be showing your friends when you are bragging about your tool box but they can get the job done.

-Valentine

A triple square set would be good, just bought the one for the axles.

Will buy just what I need then. Easier to order, no shipping charge, don't have to drive to the store either.

When dealing with huge Allen tools, I would just buy them as needed from Sears. I never had a problem.

With smaller Allen tools, I have often ruined cheap ones, only Snap-On works for me.

Harbor freight cheap impact rated set, $30 before coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-pc-12-in-drive-metric-impact-hex-socket-set-67895.html
DSC00175.JPG

Bondhus, made is USA, great quality, lifetime no questions warranty. About $53 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SW9OA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DSC00008.JPG

Wright Tool #360, Made in USA, top quality, lifetime warranty, nice case. About $93 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RIMS9M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DSC00103.JPG

I work on motorcycles and turned a Snap On 12mm hex socket into a licorice stick (also stripped a 1/2" drive dual 80 ratchet) trying to remove a swingarm pivot bolt.

Allen heads are one spot where I spend the $$ to avoid rounding stuff out.

Supposedly there are 17mm headed bolts out there, if you just need one for one time you can buy one bolt and two nuts (to jam together) and adapt that to a 17mm socket.

Originally Posted By: Valentine
Harbor Freight has sets for cheap. Nothing that you'll be showing your friends when you are bragging about your tool box but they can get the job done.

-Valentine

I have HF deep well 1/2in impact in both SAE and metric. They're only a couple years old but have seen some good use with zero failures yet. It sure would be nice to buy premium but HF does sell some decent products if you're careful.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Allen heads are one spot where I spend the $$ to avoid rounding stuff out.

Supposedly there are 17mm headed bolts out there, if you just need one for one time you can buy one bolt and two nuts (to jam together) and adapt that to a 17mm socket.

Absolutely. Better sockets and better prep cleaning out the hex are critical.

I like that Bondhus.

That said, IMO there is something to be said about the HF type design... Because there have been instances where Ive managed to turn the allen in the holder.

^What eljefino said. If it's something you're not going to use much I wouldn't bother getting a whole set. Most hardware stores should have 17mm bolts for less than the $6 you'd spend on amazon. I only say this because I did the same thing a few years back and bought a set, only ever used the 1 that fit my trans drain and fill plugs, never needed the others. They make good paper weights

Originally Posted By: Traction
You can make one by welding a handle to a 17mm lug bolt.

I like that idea. I think I have enough friends with welders who could do that for me. Too bad I gave in and bought a socket last week though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back