All those in cars in LO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will anything on the cars/trucks be worth saving in New Orleans area? I know the interior is a big no. How about the drivetrain? If you drain the fluids and let them dry out would the motor/transmission be good? Other than body panels i don't see how much could be used off of them. I guess the plus side is there will be a whole new parts in circulation.

If you take the spark plugs out before restarting and turn the motor over so the rings don't rust to the cylinder walls you might be able to save an engine or at least keep it running. I've heard automatic transmissions have worse issues with water intrusion, it screws up/dissolves their clutch packs. Then you have the wiring corroding and as you say it's mostly body parts left over.

These people are going to need new used reliable transportation. Thankfully there's a bumper crop of reliable trade-ins on this summer's employee pricing stunt but demand will outstrip supply of the 'nice' cars. If I were displaced I'd take a bus 1000 miles away to a northern state with liberal temporary license plate rules and quickly pick up a nicer car.

The flooded clunkers are slowly being patched up, disguised, and headed to dealers as we speak.
frown.gif
But, now is a better time to buy (better odds) than two to six months from now.

Yep, I'm thinking along those lines too. Buying a used car is going to be a dangerous proposition for the next couple years. The market will be full of cars that have been immersed for days or weeks in a foul, disease ridden slime soup. If ever there was a time for buyers to beware, this would be it. Of course, they'll be shined up all nice and pretty on the outside. I think the concept here is putting lipstick on a venomous pig. Ouch.

My BMW was purchased and forever has been in NJ. It has a flood title... Some wires show slight signs of corrosion, but its never been an issue.

Other than a whiney diff (which every e30 has), no problems... Just passed 100K.

Obviously the damage was bad enough for the car to get a flood title... That said, all repars were done at a dealer, and the car is still perfect, at 14 years old.

JMH

I would think the smell on the inside would be enough to give it away. I guess if they traded out the seats and carpets.. maybe. How deep was your bmw submerged? Another thing now is some of these cars may have been submerged not once but twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back