All the Private Label Brands Warren Distribution Makes, If You're Interested

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by kschachn
That's why an oil's specifications, approvals and licenses is key. They are the only reliable measure of quality, otherwise we are back to "look at that slug of moly", "my pappy trusted XXX brand, so I do too", "this oil has titanium!" or "Old Man Sedgwick down at the feed store swears by XXX."

"Old man Sedgwick"..lmbo.. but spot on.ðŸ‘...‚

I thought that was funny too MH... Old man Sedgwick
lol.gif

It is also likely true that kschachn is actually old man Sedgwick
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by 4WD
Looks decent - PQIA says it's GIII ?

You put it up against any of them for how many miles ?

No, PQIA doesn't say that. But GII and GII+ cannot meet the specs for 0W20, it takes III, III+ or PAO to hit the numbers. So the minimum it could be is GIII.

Pennzoil has a 0w20 that's a blend. It's one of only two blends that I know of that are also D1G2 approved, so I suspect it's a majority grp3.. maybe even GTL grp 3+??

Yes, after researching that several months back, I bought a 6 gallon box of Pennzoil Gold in 0w20. Allocated to the 3.6L Dodge (that flipped the Castrol Magnetec) and Ford 5w20. Where I was headed before the sidetrack is I for one don't think all 0w20 and all "synthetic" lubes in the US automatically fall back to GIII min. There have been too many plant upgrades to make advanced GII's … why do you think that happened ? Why is Warren a big buyer of EM EHC base-stocks. There are over two dozen buyers and some are majors and some are boutique blenders.
I'm saying there should be suspicion on how many (no single company) that we are now getting a semi called synthetic and can sell so cheap. How would you know they are not. If Dex 1.2 is the benchmark - the PG probably got there 50/50. At least SOPUS was honest.
The original specs are worked with the big players and then the target becomes how to make the version for GM etc. (FF costs big money).Notice the early AC Delco synthetic was in the MSS bottle ? So I'm equally suspicious of all of them - (Magnetec included) but the Mobil 1, SOPUS, and Castrol, lineups at least makes some sense as the base oil turns to PAO/GTL when needed. I see these companies to be more vital on a global scale anyway - and I work the globe where they will be found.

I'm getting ready to go 10k for the first time ever - I'm not going to do that with what I see making the minimum standard. Maybe later though - lots to do with comfort zones we all have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
It is also likely true that kschachn is actually old man Sedgwick
lol.gif

Old Man Sedgwick: BITOG's resident MythBuster.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I use a name brand oil. SuperTech.

Wrong!

Dude... chill. Use the oil that you want and like, but your personal crusade against everything Warren is getting old.

Reactions: KLF
I don't have to explain anything. All you have to do is read labels and remember what you read. and where you read it.. Be sure to include reading materials at product websites too.
Upon completion and upon the ability to retain what you read, you will find out what brands spout superiority in all areas of concern - which ones don't / leave out things. It's plain-as-day / easy too decipher..

The ones that are missing verbage on labels and at their product websites are the ones I avoid. They generally are always house brands, or small-time players in the industry. They generally don;t mention certain aspects other brands do (hypothetically like cleaning ability)..... etc.

SO, you're telling me that my jug of Harvest King 0w20 synthetic THAT IS SN AND DEXOS 1 GEN 2 is not as good as other name brand oil? Get off your high horse and please stop spreading so much MISINFORMATION!

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I use a name brand oil. SuperTech.

Wrong!

Nice argument...as always. Has this person ever posted a single piece of data - of any kind - or just ran his opinion diarrhea?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I don't have to explain anything. All you have to do is read labels and remember what you read. and where you read it.. Be sure to include reading materials at product websites too.
Upon completion and upon the ability to retain what you read, you will find out what brands spout superiority in all areas of concern - which ones don't / leave out things. It's plain-as-day / easy too decipher..

The ones that are missing verbage on labels and at their product websites are the ones I avoid. They generally are always house brands, or small-time players in the industry. They generally don;t mention certain aspects other brands do (hypothetically like cleaning ability)..... etc.

SO, you're telling me that my jug of Harvest King 0w20 synthetic THAT IS SN AND DEXOS 1 GEN 2 is not as good as other name brand oil? Get off your high horse and please stop spreading so much MISINFORMATION!

That's correct. If you are first and last owner of your vehicles, then you find out over a lifetime of new vehicle purchases, that (normally)you get what you pay for.

Been there done that many numerous times.
How many new vehicles have you owned Adam - that you kept for 18 years and went to junkyards with engines purring and only there because of very bad rust?

So yes, I've been on many high horses. Most-all had clear dipsticks and only used less than a quart of oil, when they arrive at junkyards. So yes, I do know a thing or three.
Please name and detail your high horses fella? But hey, if you desire to buy oils that lack vital information on labels, then so be it..... it's your right to buy that oil.
Good luck with that decision, for it works sometimes. But so does rolling the dice and flipping cards at blackjack tables. Like to gamble?...... keep doing it.

Last edited:
Triple_Se7en said:

That's correct. If you are first and last owner of your vehicles, then you find out over a lifetime of new vehicle purchases, that (normally)you get what you pay for.

How many new vehicles have you owned Adam - that you kept for 18 years and went to junkyards with engines purring and only there because of very bad rust?

So yes, I've been on many high horses. Most-all had clear dipsticks and only used less than a quart of oil, when they arrive at junkyards. So yes, I do know a thing or three.
Please name and detail your high horses fella? But hey, if you desire to buy oils that lack vital information on labels, then so be it..... it's your right to buy that oil.
Good luck with that decision, for it works sometimes. But so does rolling the dice and flipping cards at blackjack tables. Like to gamble?...... keep doing it.

I'm done here. I can't seem to teach everyone. Some won't read and comprehend. They appear to be more interested in saving money.

You have taught nothing because there is nothing to be taught. You have to have a understanding the brand does not matter it's the maintenance practices not the label on the container. The best example is large fleets. Most get whatever blender who can provide the correct spec motor oil at the lowest price and provide the best follow up service. There is a fleet down the road from me with dozens of vehicles which are run on shift work nearly 20 hours a day and average more than 5 days a week every year running. The median vehicle has a little more than 12K hours of operation time and it's in a dusty desert thousands of hours of idle time then it's WOT runs responding to calls.

The oil used is from a smaller blender I've never heard of and it's a "synthetic blend" and oil changes are done about ever 5K miles with the jobber motor oil and Napa Gold filters. If for some reason the shop did not order enough motor oil the last quarter or there is an unforeseen uptick in miles traveled for the quarter the shop will purchase Napa Motor Oil. The last engine failure due to lube failure has been more than 3 decades ago because the lead mechanic has been there for 28+ years and the gentleman he relieved didn't recall the last engine failure due to inadequate oil

The conclusion is you can not teach topics which do not exist. There are certifications and standards for a reason and the minimum qualification for the "grade" how you like to put it is high enough to be better than necessary and it appears the "name brands" you like to tout must not go much above and beyond the set standards because in reality which is where 777's mind is not in regarding this subject there is no performance or longevity edge when the factory minimum maintenance recommendations are followed. Name brands have budgets to adhere to and profit maximization is also the primary focus for management not going out and lapping partner/competitors products.

Triple_Se7en said:

I'm done here. I can't seem to teach everyone. Some won't read and comprehend. They appear to be more interested in saving money.

BE QUIET! Stop spewing total MISINFORMATION for the 3rd darn time. Just admit: you are not right, not now, not in the past and will never, ever be. Who cares of I own a new or used car. SMH!

Originally Posted by zuluplus30
It's been posted before but I'll say it again. The fact that all of these oils meet D1G2 specifications is nothing to scoff at. D1G2 requires a predetermined matrix mix of 75% or more Grp III and at max 25% Grp II+ base oils and then combined with an already pre-approved additive pack from (insert supplier name here). There is very little wiggle room in Dexos blending without recertification, hence anything carrying a Dexos certification is of markedly similar quality. So every one of these oils are of a guaranteed quality and performance (even when compared to API SN+) over any typical OEM length change interval. I'm currently on Supertech synthetic in both of my GM warranty vehicles for the length of the OLM and have no plan to modify that anytime soon.

Thanks for this information. Very specific. Sounds like any grp II+ is simply the additive solubility carrier. 75% Grp III makes it look like they basically are requiring the base oil be at least Grp III.

Where is that in writing - in the past I have only found that it is not a "recipe" - but a number of test standards on top of GF5 etc

I think you and I are on the same page

BS gets old around here !!!!!!

Hope you and yours have a great Christmas holiday season !!!!

Back