All the Private Label Brands Warren Distribution Makes, If You're Interested

This is what I love about BITOG... Great discussions.
grin.gif

Really though.... Marketing seems to say whatever they can say in the effort to make you buy their product. I just recently had a UOA completed on my vehicle running Super Tech and it came back with very nice results. That's really where we should be going with this IMHO. "Results". If Warren can blend a good oil for a better price and the results show this... then? Having said that though... Marketing does make one feel better. And how many here have posted "seat of the pants" observations.

I'll keep doing a UOA and maybe switch to a "Bigger Name" to see if anything changes. I've always taken my engines over 250k with regular maintenance and I think that is more important than the rest. Just my 0.02cts.

This tends to be a good, better, best site … ST and the other Warren products are good at making the spec. Nothing more, nothing less … and that is fine. Dexos is a good standard for normal DD's and all that.
But lets not insult others here by saying the majors bring nothing but marketing. They actually make what Warren is made from.
And for the good, better, best crowd that likes to attack brands over the subject of "synthetic" … color me still thinking this is a semi for these prices when they have to buy base stock as a starting point. Not saying that makes it bad, but folks here like to pick a favorite to bash and stick with it. I also feel a certain number of folks chose to trust a major because they never had the first issue. Tig for 40 years for example. I do business with them because they bring things to market that benefit all of us - and that is who the OEM's work with. You reckon they have a bit more kit and knowledge than the beloved Blackstone.

Then there are the guys who stalk year end deals on major brands and get it for even less. That's me. I'm loaded with M1 AP, Valvoline ME, and RGT ... and don't need anything from Warren for a good while.
I'm not doing UOA's either … I could buy two jugs of the clearance oil for that money.

Last edited:
That's me. I like "good" name brands for Warren's price, but I would not hesitate to use warren either. The store I get it at sells for $2/qrt. However now its pureguard. I'm sure that's a decent oil to.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Certainly - and I have used the STP made by Amalie too. It's Dexos approved.

And at the end of the day that's what's important, the approvals and certs a lube carries. Statements like "Warren makes great oil" and "Pennzoils GTL is a superior grp3" or something along those lines, can both be true..they're not mutually exclusive. Like you said, good/better/best as far as what's on paper. I think we'd all agree "how" an oil performs in a particular engine is another discussion all together. So while a Warren made lube might be just fine for me, it may not do so well for the next guy (maybe they get more valve train noise). You just have to experiment w/different lubes until you find what works for ya.

It was my understanding that the Dexos license number is specific to that exact product. So if three different oils (ST, Mag1 and Federated) 5w30 all have the same Dexos1 gen2 number than they are identical. Is this not the case?

Originally Posted by 4WD
This tends to be a good, better, best site … ST and the other Warren products are good at making the spec. Nothing more, nothing less … and that is fine. Dexos is a good standard for normal DD's and all that.
But lets not insult others here by saying the majors bring nothing but marketing. They actually make what Warren is made from.
And for the good, better, best crowd that likes to attack brands over the subject of "synthetic" … color me still thinking this is a semi for these prices when they have to buy base stock as a starting point. Not saying that makes it bad, but folks here like to pick a favorite to bash and stick with it. I also feel a certain number of folks chose to trust a major because they never had the first issue. Tig for 40 years for example. I do business with them because they bring things to market that benefit all of us - and that is who the OEM's work with. You reckon they have a bit more kit and knowledge than the beloved Blackstone.

Then there are the guys who stalk year end deals on major brands and get it for even less. That's me. I'm loaded with M1 AP, Valvoline ME, and RGT ... and don't need anything from Warren for a good while.
I'm not doing UOA's either … I could buy two jugs of the clearance oil for that money.

Spoken for truth

Originally Posted by mpgo4th
It was my understanding that the Dexos license number is specific to that exact product. So if three different oils (ST, Mag1 and Federated) 5w30 all have the same Dexos1 gen2 number than they are identical. Is this not the case?

I would like to know the answer to this, too.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I'm not doing UOA's either …

Most drivers don't have any use for them...and their cars keep running. I'm also loaded with VME & RGT - won't touch Warren for a while.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mpgo4th

Not necessarily. Both the API and GM allow blenders and formulators to make minor changes without requiring additional testing or licensure. I don't feel like writing up a long winded post but research Base oil Slate (BOS; group of oils), Base oil Interchange (BOI) guidelines and Viscosity Grade Read Across (VGRA). Both the API and GM have guidelines that tells the blender/formulator when additional testing is or isn't necessary. Being able to swap out similar groups of oils and/or additives without underground additional testing gives them the flexibility they need in their supply chain mgmt.

Last edited:
oils meeting the same specs are likely similar but NOT identical. girlfriends oil burning 13 2.5L Malibu used MORE Amazon basics 5-40 than the LiquiMoly i was using, but it matters not anymore as her preowned 18 Kia optima 2.4L uses NONE!! thats 5-30 winter + 10-30 summer as noted in the owners manual, cheap group III Quaker state works!

Back