All-Steel, Non-1911, Single-Action 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it is not single action, it is SA/DA. And if it is a post war pistol it will have an aluminum frame. That and there are issues with frames and slides cracking on the early generation of post war pistols. This happened to my Commcercial circa 1961 P38.

FWIW - and if I was today shopping for a Hi-Power - I most likely would look for a nice used Hi-Power Practical and go from there.

Browning-Hi-Power-Practical-MID-051005-m.jpg

I love the way my CZ75 shoots. That is really what it comes down to for me.

I have tried a lot of the newer designs but they don't feel the same. The closest I found was the Beretta 92.

I have only tried the 9mm model, but it seems like it just balances out right through the shot cycle.

There is enough history behind the CZ for me to feel comfortable there are no surprises around the corner.

What about the 3rd generation S&W? Strong construction, very accurate, lots of used examples. It's DA/SA, but you can fire it SA easily by cocking the first shot.

3rd gen Smith was the first thing I thought of. But the trigger is horrible all the way around. I wonder what a gunsmith can do for reasonable cost. You can find police trade in 5906 for $300.

Originally Posted By: Finn
FWIW - and if I was today shopping for a Hi-Power - I most likely would look for a nice used Hi-Power Practical and go from there.

Browning-Hi-Power-Practical-MID-051005-m.jpg

Can you provide a quick rundown on that pistol?

Is it made totally by Browning, or by an aftermarket mfr?

Many Browning Hi Powers usually benefit greatly from a trigger job by a good gunsmith. For a single action only autoloader, they don't usually have great triggers from the factory. They tend to be a bit heavy in my experience. This is because when the pistol was designed John Browning had to work around his previous patents which he sold to Colt.

That being said, they can be tuned into a very smooth gun. I had the chance to shoot a Novak tuned and altered Hi Power once(complete with extended beavertailed frame) and it was a true work of art.

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

I decided on a new Hi-Power Standard (13-RD capacity, adjustable sights).

FYI, I ordered from Hinterland Outfitters, Houston, TX. They had a few new, 2014-manufacture Hi-Powers in stock that they had just gotten in. Price was the best I found at $919 plus $9.00 shipping. (Retail listed at $1160 on Browning website.)

In case anyone is interested, I found an exhaustively informative website dedicated to the Hi-Power, but also containing much information on many other handguns:

www.hipowersandhandguns.com

The author of all the info on the site, Steve Camp, could very we'll have been a BITOGer...he was "our kind of guy." Very thorough and detailed in his testing, analysis and writing.

Unfortunately, he died in 2011 and the site hasn't been updated. But, the info is still very relevant.

Can't wait to get the pistol and play with it a little bit!

It is a classic design, you will enjoy it for all its history, eccentricities, and timeless lines. Not to mention they just a very well made gun.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
It is a classic design, you will enjoy it for all its history, eccentricities, and timeless lines. Not to mention they just a very well made gun.

Yes, it will be interesting to test the handgun and compare my notes and experience with the experience of others.

I plan to put a few boxes of ammunition through it before having it modified in any way.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Originally Posted By: Finn
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
...Once you start shooting a 45, you'll never go back to the 9mm.

I did.
grin.gif

I did as well. I like cheap ammo!

Then you both would love .22 LR!!!!!

I thought we were talking about a personal protection firearm.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Yes, it will be interesting to test the handgun and compare my notes and experience with the experience of others.

I plan to put a few boxes of ammunition through it before having it modified in any way.

You can also look at a Ciener 22lr conversion kit for it if you like plinking with cheap ammo.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

You can also look at a Ciener 22lr conversion kit for it if you like plinking with cheap ammo.

Very cool! I've heard .22lr is hard to come by these days, though.

It is hard to get. But that will subside in time. But it is nice to have a gun that allows you to switch between two calibers but still have the same feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back