All-Steel, Non-1911, Single-Action 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a single-action, or single-action capable 9mm that is not a 1911.

I already have 2 Glocks and love them. I'm looking for something different for this purchase.

Something more classic, with the satisfying heft of all-steel construction. Something with a reputation for accuracy, with adjustable sights.

Something that not everybody and his brother at the range has.

Prefer blued finish and wood grips.

A nice trigger out of the box would be great, too, but life can't be perfect, now, can it?

This will be a range gun, primarily. May also keep it in the nightstand. Won't be carried.

At the top of the list right now is the Browning Hi-Power Standard. It is pricey though...

Suggestions?

I know the CZ-75 fits many of these criteria, but it's DA/SA.

What are some others in this category?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Sounds nearly impossible.

I don't know of another non-1911 SAO pistol other than the Hi-Power.

Surely they exist...I just don't know of one.

The Hi-Power has some pros and some cons... Pros: Well-made, rep for accuracy, it's a classic (designed by John Browning as an "improved 1911", and went into production well before WWII), available from the factory with blued finish and walnut grips, was produced until 2012, and will hold its value.

Cons: It's expensive (retails for $1160), although it can be had for less on the street, and one review I read said the trigger wasn't great (gritty, and harder pull than advertised). Also has an annoying magazine safety.

CZ-75 B SA is single action

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-b-sa-9mm-black-16-rd-mags/

cz-usa-cz-75-b-sa1-500x333.png

Sorry, no. But I owned a CZ-75 in the late 80's and it took just about any ammo I could find. Even Spanish 9 mm surplus from the 50's.

I believe that the CZ is more refined these days and because of that even better product.

I myself have a P226 and Hi Power Mk III but would trust a CZ, no problem.

Originally Posted By: Finn
Sorry, no. But I owned a CZ-75 in the late 80's and it took just about any ammo I could find. Even Spanish 9 mm surplus from the 50's.

I believe that the CZ is more refined these days and because of that even better product.

I myself have a P226 and Hi Power Mk III but would trust a CZ, no problem.

Very cool! What do you think of the Hi-Power? What year was yours made? How is the trigger? Does yours still have the mag disconnect?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Very cool! What do you think of the Hi-Power? What year was yours made? How is the trigger? Does yours still have the mag disconnect?

Back in the day I checked manufacturing date from serial number but I cannot remember it anymore - perhaps a '90 or so.

With removal of the magazine disconnect the trigger is quite OK - a vast improvement on what it was. IMHO, a Hi Power would need better sights such as Heinie, Novak etc. It is a great pistol!

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
...Once you start shooting a 45, you'll never go back to the 9mm.

I did.
grin.gif

The sig p210 comes to mind-hope you have a deep wallet though. Sig just introduced a single action only p226, but it has an alloy frame, not all steel as you were looking for.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Back in the day I checked manufacturing date from serial number but I cannot remember it anymore - perhaps a '90 or so.

With removal of the magazine disconnect the trigger is quite OK - a vast improvement on what it was. IMHO, a Hi Power would need better sights such as Heinie, Novak etc. It is a great pistol!

Very nice. I am finding myself leaning more and more towards the Hi-Power, for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the rich and voluminous history attached to the gun.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Hi Power needs a shortened hammer as the stock one will give you hammer bite.

What is quite nice with Hi Power - as with 1911 as well - is that you can make a project of it and build it along the ride.

It does well out of the box and when you know what you want/need you can build it step by step (or at once) per your specific needs and preferences and there are lots of prducts and services available.

I too like the history it has.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
...Once you start shooting a 45, you'll never go back to the 9mm.

I did.
grin.gif

I did as well. I like cheap ammo!

They make Tokarev 9mm guns. Certainly a military classic, and indeed very cheap to buy. Used Norincos and new ones are made by Zastava.

+1 on cbears recommendations ona P-38. I have one and it is a great 9 mm. Easy to take apart and clean, very reliable and accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back