All of this talk about synthetic motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is fine dont get me wrong.But I believe the real necessity for Synthetic oil is in the transmission/Transaxle.Here on bitog we all pretty well know by now an engine will go thousands of miles on conventional motor oil.The transmissions are another story,I believe they really benefit from synthetic fluid due to their high heat operating temps,and a transmissions biggest enemy is heat.The first thing I usually always do to an automobile is an atf cooler,synthetic fluid,and filter.My latest observation is my Asian Werner U-140 F.Synthetic fluid made a world of difference in this transaxle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pickled
+1 and don't forget the differentials!

Absolutely!!
grin2.gif

01.gif
Absolutely agree. I change out factory transmission fluid and filters and rear axle lube usually within 1200 miles and replace with synthetic ATF, axle lube, and install Wix filters.

Of course, I change out the factory oil and filter as soon as I drive home from the dealer and install synthetic oil and Wix filters.

Last edited:
I run synthetics since I typically only get them for marginally more than a dino variety. The transmission is a very important peice of a vehicle and to me, the synth is an extra peice of mind. Every 25-30k, differentials are every 15-20k.

I still need to convert my transfer case to synthetic. To lazy and poor to do it for now.

It is classic how many vehicle owners freak out if they don't get their 3,000 mile service, but yet can't even remember when they have or should have changed the trans or differentials out!

I changed my fiance's oil in her Grand AM GT R/A and didn't have a sticker for her, so I took mine, and cleaned off my mileage and put hers on so she would have a safety margin on when to change it. Granted the car has an OLM but figured its worth having a back up(put it for 5k) min on QSHP but to go longer with my go ahead.

She wondered what I would do without it since I don't have an OLM in my Xterra. Silly fiance, I remember my mileage and when to change fluids/parts at mileage intervals. Its like a road map!

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Which is fine dont get me wrong.But I believe the real necessity for Synthetic oil is in the transmission/Transaxle.Here on bitog we all pretty well know by now an engine will go thousands of miles on conventional motor oil.The transmissions are another story,I believe they really benefit from synthetic fluid due to their high heat operating temps,and a transmissions biggest enemy is heat.The first thing I usually always do to an automobile is an atf cooler,synthetic fluid,and filter.My latest observation is my Asian Werner U-140 F.Synthetic fluid made a world of difference in this transaxle.
I disagree... The reason engines go further than your average transmission is because of design not the fluid.

Now using a Syn will definitly help extend a transmissions life, but the real way to get it to last a long time is to keep it cool using an external cooler and also use an external filter like a Magnefine to help keep the internal filter free/clear.

In all the cars I have driven to 400K+ KM (240K Miles) all have been the original transmission using dino based transmission fluids. But all also had regular service of no more than 50K KM (30K miles) with fresh fluid and filters, and all but 1 had an external transmission cooler installed if not already equipped.
wink.gif

Heat kills a transmission, not fluid choices or brands so long as it's the correct specification!

Synthetics dissipate heat well and lower trans temps are a result...that's kind of like installing a cooler. Saw 15F drops in trans fluid sump temps from going from a DexIII to a full synthetic ATF. Add extended intervals and syns in the drivetrain are where the bang for the buck is.

15oF will help extend a transmission life but not like an external cooler will! and the cost you will then save by not having to run syn's in the transmission will pay for the cooler and the cooler will pay for the transmissions longer life so you will be ahead!

I want to add an external transmission cooler, they roughly go for 100-150 for a nice sized one, but i'm to scared to split my transmission lines. I have experience water cooling PC's not cars/trucks lol.

If you use the proper connectors and the proper hose clamps which usually come in the kit you will be fine. It's when you try to "red-neck" it that it becomes a problem.

It's easy to do, and in the remote chance that is starts leaking you can always put a tube between the two lines to by pass it until you can get it fixed.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: pickled
+1 and don't forget the differentials!

Absolutely!!
grin2.gif

nope...maybe in a manual tranny, auto tranny yeah cause Mopar ATF+4 is full-syn from the factory. But in diffs, Currie Enterprises will not warranty anything that had a drop of synthetic gear oil in it...dino seems to lube better in diffs as long as it is changed regularly?

This is up for debate; you make a good point, but I am just presenting the other side because it really comes down to length of interval I think? in an auto tranny though, for sure cause those dodge trannies were really failing alot until ATF+4 and even still cause of the heat!

Originally Posted By: Anies
I want to add an external transmission cooler, they roughly go for 100-150 for a nice sized one, but i'm to scared to split my transmission lines. I have experience water cooling PC's not cars/trucks lol.

I got one for 50 bucks at the local auto parts house...you NEED to run it in sequence with your OEM internal cooler for it to be fully effective though...follow the directions, research online...you can do it!

Last edited:
I agree with FastSUV, The line runs from the Transmission into the radiator and then back to the transmission.

It is the line coming from the radiator going back to the transmission that you want to cut into and add your cooler in place.

This will allow the radiator to heat/cool the fluid to normal levels and your external cooler will do the axillary cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back