All new cars to have a Kill Switch by 2026

While looking over some things, this caught my eye. According to a certain $1 trillion plan by a certain individual, all new cars might be required to have a Kill Switch installed by 2026. This is to allegedly reduce high speed police chases and help monitor drunk or "impaired" drivers.

Baby steps toward 100% monitoring. Hopefully some industrious tuning folks establish some 'speakeasys' where you can go get this crap disabled. I'm not some raging alcoholic that should have to blow into a tube in order to start my car, and I'd appreciate not being treated like one.

I thought every car with Onstar or Lojack already has that?
I believe OnStar had select models starting in 2011. GM can do it if they want and people have the right to not buy a GM product. It's when the federal government now mandates all cars have a KS.

This might be more about forcing development and use of autonomous vehicles. We haven't been hearing too much about those lately, at least not by comparison with electric vehicles, which have been all over the news.

The used-car market is going to boom. Glad I got my old Ranger when I did. It has very little nanny tech. :)

I always thought it would be a good idea if the police could fire a projectile onto the body of a vehicle that would emit a voltage pulse that would kill the vehicle's ignition system. They could stop many fleeing criminals instead of having to use easy to dodge tack strips

Topic previously discussed here:

I always thought it would be a good idea if the police could fire a projectile onto the body of a vehicle that would emit a voltage pulse that would kill the vehicle's ignition system. They could stop many fleeing criminals instead of having to use easy to dodge tack strips
They already have that:

I’d like to have one for those left lane campers that like to impede traffic!

no EMP is gonna stop me in my ancient deisel, the only electronics it has are headlights 🤣

too bad it only goes 40 mph

Back