All gear oil come with lsd additive now ?

Back when I change out my diff fluid around 2013 . All gear oil bottle doesn’t say “ contain lsd additive “ now I note mobile 1 and Valvoline say that it contain lsd stuff . So I don’t need buy a small bottle of lsd any more ?

Mobil 1™ Syn Gear Lube LS ?

Valvoline SynPower does, but High Performance does not.

Amsoil Severe Gear doesn't have Limited Slip additive in it, at least the 75w90

Just because those 2 have it, it does not mean all gear oils come with LSD additive
those are 2 most well know name brand of the shelves that easy to get at any local part store, even walmart, those 2 brand i use the most in my life, so im suprise i saw the new label.

Use the least about of friction modifier needed to eliminate chatter.

Just because a gear oil comes with LS additive doesn't mean its enough.

If you don't have an LS, I'd look for a gear oil without it.

Delvac1 doesn’t. The reason I use it in my 2005 Avalanche G80 locker.

Last edited:
I've been using Quaker State in steel drums for over 20 years and never had to add anything to limited slip differentials.

Last edited:
I've been using Quaker State in the steel drums for over 20 years and never had to add anything to limited slip differentials.
Depends what type of diff you have. A cone type diff requires it as well as some clutch type diffs require FM. A Detroit locker doesnt need it neither does a Wave trac. The best advice is to check your owners manual to verify what type of FM is needed as well as to how much.

Use the least about of friction modifier needed to eliminate chatter.

Just because a gear oil comes with LS additive doesn't mean its enough.

If you don't have an LS, I'd look for a gear oil without it.
My 07 F150 has an open rear end and I use Valvoline 75W140 synthetic gear oil in it. It has LS additives and my differential is still going strong with 160K miles.

Back