All free Computer Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, after spending well over 100 bucks a year for antivirus, antispyware and firewall protection and never even once detecting spyware or a virus, I said the heck with this! Today I armed myself with the Kerio firewall, Antivir (which is supposed to be about as good as it gets for anti virus, paid or free), and the new 4.0 version of Ewido which they changed the name from anti-malware to antispyware (has the same detection). I also still have Ad-aware and Windows defender and also got Avast for back up on demand antivirus scanning (real time turned off for compatability).

Probably MAJOR overkill but I do all my banking online and do some investing online so I am constantly typing passwords and such for financial stuff.

Antivir free actually has a bit better detection rates in most areas than the 35 buck a year Mcafee I was using. I highly recomend it after researching it, especially over AVG free.

Anybody besides me use ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm?
Firewall, Anti-spy and AV. Sorta free. I can't say anymore.
I also have the Verizon DSL stuff. I never seem to find much spyware these days.
But there is still something vile hiding on my hard drive that tries to get funny once in a while.

I'm using avg-free and ad-aware. I am behind a wired/wireless router and use XP-pro firewall. Once in a while I pickup a tracking cookie. AVG has worked well for me and on more then one ocasion has picked up some sort of nasty that wasn't even in it's directory. Twice I have had to do a system restore to clear up something that I couldn't find a fix for.

The new Comodo Personal Firewall is supposed to be the cat's meow for WinXP users.

Fully bi-directional with automatic updates, known applications library and supported by some very savvy coders at Comodo. Their support forum there is excellent.

PC Magazine rated CPF back in late May.

I've been using CPF alongside NAV 2006, and have had no problems so far. I even left the "worm control" firewall portion of NAV running to see if there would be a conflict between these firewalls, and there isn't. My Windows Security Center reports NAV as being the firewall on my machine, yet when working with CPF's activity logger, I can see that it's actually doing the work.

Highly recommended -- and free!

ZoneAlarm works but is very demanding on a system. It can seriously reduce the bandwidth of your internet connection. It did it to all 5 PCs in my house in Katy. XP Pro's firewall is good enough. The only anti-virus software worth paying for.... PC-Cillin by Trend Micro.

quote:

Originally posted by IslaVistaMan:
The new Comodo Personal Firewall is supposed to be the cat's meow for WinXP users.

Fully bi-directional with automatic updates, known applications library and supported by some very savvy coders at Comodo. Their support forum there is excellent.

PC Magazine rated CPF back in late May.

I've been using CPF alongside NAV 2006, and have had no problems so far. I even left the "worm control" firewall portion of NAV running to see if there would be a conflict between these firewalls, and there isn't. My Windows Security Center reports NAV as being the firewall on my machine, yet when working with CPF's activity logger, I can see that it's actually doing the work.

Highly recommended -- and free!

I'm gonna try it out... being at school, I want something with a stronger firewall.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
ZoneAlarm works but is very demanding on a system. It can seriously reduce the bandwidth of your internet connection. It did it to all 5 PCs in my house in Katy. XP Pro's firewall is good enough. The only anti-virus software worth paying for.... PC-Cillin by Trend Micro.

XP firewall does not do egress filtering. It's not enough.

One other unrelated thing: everyone's security would be improved by using a 3rd party browser over Internet Explorer.

BSD works for me.
wink.gif

Seriously though if you have updated windows, use a hardware firewall and a secure web browser(firefox, cookies only for original site, ect.) The free programs will work fine. I use Spybot, Adaware and clamwin. All run only when you tell them too,(don't hog resources like Mcafee and Norton junk) and work great.

The first thing I do for any family member with a new computer is uninstall Norton or Mcafee, they are terrible programs.

-T

what is BSD?

Comodo is the real deal! Some people thought they were spywareish at first on Wilders but the major security loons out there are warming up to it. I LOVE it; the easiest firewall with egress control to use.

Window's firewall is useless if you have scumware on your computer that tries to communicate out.

quote:

Originally posted by Brons2:

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

XP firewall does not do egress filtering. It's not enough.

One other unrelated thing: everyone's security would be improved by using a 3rd party browser over Internet Explorer.

Right now, everyone in the house is using Mozilla Firefox and Sygate Personal Firewall... which was purchased by ZoneAlarm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back