All about PCV valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, not too bad.

BUT I would never go 50,000 miles before checking/replacing the PCV.

I clean them around every 5-10k miles, nad if they don't rattle freely, I replace them.

My 2014 Chevy Camaro 6.2L LS3 has the PCV removed in favor of a catch can so that those oily crankcase vapors are NOT returned to the intake tract.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
My 2014 Chevy Camaro 6.2L LS3 has the PCV removed in favor of a catch can so that those oily crankcase vapors are NOT returned to the intake tract.

REMOVED?!?

Catch can following the PCV valve is the usual layout.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Yea, not too bad.

BUT I would never go 50,000 miles before checking/replacing the PCV.

I clean them around every 5-10k miles, nad if they don't rattle freely, I replace them.

I'm with you...but plenty of vehicles have them buried now and use the "life" moniker. As in 100k or under I'll sell it and it's some other dude's problem when it fails. I love the 95 Camry in my sig; I change the PCV every Fall. Cost is less than $3 and it takes as long to open the hood as it does to change it out.

Mean to add: Thanks for the link. Good read.

Last edited:
It seems like if you removed your PCV valve, your engine would run like it had a vacuum leak. If you have a fixed orifice tube somewhere in the PCV system, that might not be a problem.

Also, giving the PCV the shake test is a huge problem in some cases. On very old cars, the PCV grommet becomes rock hard and stuck to the engine, and the plastic PCV valve would easily shatter.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
I change the PCV every Fall. Cost is less than $3 and it takes as long to open the hood as it does to change it out.
......you don't own a lot of Transverse FWD V6's Do you?
meme8812533668_zpsp43dzwzx.jpg

3/5's of my fleet are on there original, and will only get changed when I have there upper plenums off.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Indydriver

REMOVED?!?

Catch can following the PCV valve is the usual layout.

Sorry. You are correct. Should have said "PCV line".

All the idea about changing PCV valves out really doesn't mean much on most late model GM engines. My 2013 5.3L doesn't have a PCV valve. Only a port at rear of driver's side valve cover. Like Indydriver, I put a catch can in the PCV line. In 12,000 miles, it captured enough to fill a 16 oz water bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back