all 5W/20's a synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another forum, it was suggested that all 5W/20 motor oil is a synthetic blend at minimum. Is this true? If so, how "synthetic" is Havoline 5W/20?

If you consider hydrocracked oils to be synthetic, yes...but that makes pretty much every modern (SM) oil "synthetic" or "semi".

Conoco calls their 5W-20s and 5W-30s syn-blends. But just like any syn-blend, the oil manufacturer won't tell us the percentages of group III in these oils. The same goes for Havoline 5W-20. There's group III in there -- but how much?...Who Knows?

The best three dino UOAs I read involving 5W-20's were from....
Motorcraft
Pennzoil
Havoline

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Conoco calls their 5W-20s and 5W-30s syn-blends.

Does that mean their 10W-30 is NOT a blend?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 06RANGER:
Motorcraft 5w-20 is a syn-blend ... not a dino.

Synthetic blends are a dino based oil with a percent of syntheic. According to BOBISTHEOILGUY oil companys can add as little as 10% synthetic to a dino and have a syntheic blend. Or as they called it in the old days semi syntheic.

I've seen CoNoCo 10W-30 oils without the words "synthetic blends" on the shelf: they are not SM/GF-4 rated, though...

Cheers!

quote:

Does that mean their 10W-30 is NOT a blend?

It means this thread is about 5W-20s. Look at the wording again Goldenrod.

===============================================

quote:

Motorcraft 5w-20 is a syn-blend ... not a dino.

It's only a syn-blend if you allow group IIIs to be called synthetics.

(From what I read here) and yes... this is the internet so anything goes... In order for Conoco to meet SM standards, they needed to add so much group III that it exceeded the minimum dose required to call oils syn-blend. So with that in mind, it only made sense to change the jug wording. That's why their oils in popular passenger vehicle viscosities are all syn-blends now. But that doesn't excuse their group II oils for being subpar/not meeting the SM ratings.

[ March 27, 2006, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
In order for Conoco to meet SM standards, they needed to add so much group III that it exceeded the minimum dose required to call oils syn-blend.

Minimum dose required? And just who sets that standard?

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
ConocoPhillips (Conoco, Phillips, 76, Kendall, Motorcraft brands) imports cheap, low quality Group III base oil from Korea. They decided to use this in their SM oils as a marketing ploy, and maybe also it was the cheapest way for them to get SM using cheap conventional base oils. The CP SM oils are good oils, but nothing special.

S-Oil in Korea uses Chevron's licensed hydrocracking and isodewaxing process to make their Ultra-S Group III, which is what ConnocoPhillips uses. Ultra-S base oils are not "cheap" or "low quality." What they blend this with is their own Group II, not "cheap conventional base oils."
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
No, not all are blends. Mobil 5000 is not a blend.

There is a rumor that Mobil 5000 is actually Group III, which could technically make it a synthetic. Did we ever settle that? I heard yes from one jobber, no from another..

Valvoline makes a 5w-20 All-Climate that is not a blend (I guess) since they make a DuraBlend also.
The one UOA posted here with All-Climate in a Ford V8 was not all that good.

777:

You mentioned Motorcraft 5w20 and 5w30 in your post being blends. This lead me to believe that you intended for 10w30 not to be a blend. Having said that, I'm still waiting for an answer from you for my original question: Is MC 10w30 a blend?
tongue.gif

No, not all 5W-20 oils are syn blends.

ConocoPhillips (Conoco, Phillips, 76, Kendall, Motorcraft brands) imports cheap, low quality Group III base oil from Korea. They decided to use this in their SM oils as a marketing ploy, and maybe also it was the cheapest way for them to get SM using cheap conventional base oils. The CP SM oils are good oils, but nothing special.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back