Alignment Verification Systems

I just received some mail from Tire Rack about a new Continental Tire, an upgraded version of the DWS 06 called the Plus. The brochure mentioned an Alignment Verification System. Did a search here and it's only been mentioned once in a thread about winter tires. This seems like a terrific idea since how do you know if your car needs an alignment absent pulling or other unusual symptoms? I once ruined a tire because I drove it with severe toe in without realizing it. Wonder how this works. Anyone here have any experience with it. Oddly, the Continental Tire website has nothing on it.

At some GM dealerships, you drive over one of these every time you take your car in for service. At all of the alignment shops I've ever visited, there was a similar "skid plate" that would indicate tire "pull" as you drove on to the alignment machine. This would give the tech a preliminary indication of what MIGHT be going on and why you wish to get an alignment.

I suppose I should have watched the video first. Didn't realize this was built into the tire. Same principal though.

Back