Alignment question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I find that alignment in general has been over complicated like the rest of the systems in the rolling fleet. I really don't see where a 4 wheel or "Trust angle" alignment ever needed to be developed if the engineers just hadn't bothered to tell anyone that it was there. Better yet, just not have it there to begin with. Leave it to some wizbang Euro alloy shop to spend the coin on.

I took my daughter's old Taurus in for an alignment (I know the shop well), I figured the standard $59.95 front wheel job. Get the bill for $89.95 4WA and the rear adjustments were frozen. The charge was for the added labor of hanging the sensors and reading it.

The average consumer sees absolutely no benefit (my opinion) from these advanced suspensions technologies and supporting them over simpler and proven designs. So what if you can't pull .0002 more g's in a turn (or whatever).

Camber was a nice additional adjustment to the standard strut front end. It meant that you didn't have to trade it in if you ever got the slightest of front end damage.

The trend to low profile expensive tires I think also makes alignment a bigger issue than it was. My 65 series all seasons or 80 series snow tires aren't really that sensitive to alignment...

My ownership experience of my 02 Cavalier hasn't been what it might be. I think I have endured noise and vibration due to poorly aligned rear tires cupping and then being rotated to the front. I will see next rotation. Before I had the current tires installed, I coughed up over $250 to have the rear shimmed to spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back