Alfa Romeo Giulia oil Fiat spec 9.55535.GS1

It takes me years to buy a car and I'm already pre-shopping. A car that has really caught my interest is the Alfa Romeo Giulia. I see it takes Fiat spec 9.55535.GS1, which is not common but is available (Pennzoil Euro LX 0w30 for example).

My question is what makes this spec unique? I've checked on the Lubrizol tool and they don't have it listed. While I'd be comfortable with about any good Euro oil for this vehicle for a car out of warranty, I am curious as to what makes the Fiat spec special. You'd think most Euro oils would meet it and licensing would not be that expensive? Or is there simply not enough demand to bother?

Anyone know? Thoughts?

My Renegade with the 1.3L Fiat Turbo specs Mopar MS-13340, which seems to kind of cross reference to that Fiat spec. I think it's just an odd spec, in the wranglers with the Fiat 2.0T, the manual more or less recommends Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 (not the euro version). I don't think it's overly stringent. Run the Pennzoil Euro LX or Mobil 1 ESP and you'll be fine! I'm running Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 in mine and it's been alright other than some fuel dilution from winter. But will use the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30 next OCI.

C3 is the non fuel economy version. 3.5 min HTHS

Oh yeah thanks, I'd be all about that with a high performance turbo engine. So C3 still meets the foaming criteria Alfa is concerned about? Since it's available, perhaps best choice is just to hit the Fiat spec and eliminate any guessing, although I'd still think a premium Euro oil that satisfies the list of usual suspects ought to work well. The VW 504 spec doesn't seem too far off from what I can surmise.

yes, the older multiair spec was C3 oil.

There's been issues with cars using non-spec oil, but a change to the correct spec cured it, no permanent damage.

Well technically Fiat lubricanti is no more so maybe Agip, but my guess would have been Selenia (now Petronas?) for the Italian made Fiat/Selenia branded oil. Another story in the US for sure!
Selenia oil made by Petronas. Even Fiat dealership near me does not use that oil here in Finland. They use Shell helix ultra ect c2/c3 0w-30. I am using Mobil1 esp 5w-30 in my Fiat Ducato.

They both are ACEA C2, C3, API SN, VW 504 00/507 00, MB 229.52, MB 229.51 and will most certainly serve well in a current Giulia.

From the manufacturers' pages:

Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30:

ACEA C2, ACEA C3, API SN
VW504.00/507.00, MB 229.52, MB 229.51, MB 229.31
meets Fiat 955535.GS1, Fiat 955535.DS1, Porsche C30

Mobil 1™ ESP 5W-30:

API SN
API SM
API SL
API SJ
ACEA C2
ACEA C3

VW 504 00
VW 507 00
PORSCHE C30
PSA B 71 2290
GM dexos2
MB-Approval 229.31
MB-Approval 229.51
MB-Approval 229.52
PSA B 71 2297

Both are available in the US. Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 is marketed in NA as Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30.
Even more in Europe at least it's also sold as VAPSoil 0W-30 and Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 but with VW
approvals only. Not sure on VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda branded bottles (Europe only, VW seems to use Mobil oil in the US).

Only because I'm curious, is the particular spec THAT important in what's likely to be a daily driver? I don't see many (any) Alfa's at my shop, but plenty of Fiat 500's and Jeep Cherokees with the 2.4 MultiAir. We just use Amsoil, and they seem fine.

I remember the first time I experienced a 2.4 issue... the customer brought in their Cherokee and said it would stall on right hand turns, then would crank over like it was flooded until it fired up again. Rinse and repeat. As I was unfamiliar with how the MultiAir worked, I did some searching and discovered that when the oil level gets low enough it will starve the upper end on turns which also disables the operation of the intake valves.

I've come across the same situation several times since then, and it's been low oil every time. It seems those 2.4's are thirsty beasts.

0W C3 oils are somewhat scarce in the first place.

FCA was obviously sleeping with Petronas and SOPUS. the rest of the majors didn’t really waste their time on them

@KCJeep , as you can see from this thread, very little information on 9.55535-GS1 is actually available. Owning a Giulia, I’ve looked into this information off and on for a few years now.

I’ve reached out to FCA/Stellantis in various forms, but never received an answer worth sharing. Given the changes to manuals over the years, I’m not entirely sure how important the Fiat spec specifically is. If I’m not mistaken, ‘17 & ‘18 MY manuals called for an oil meeting MS-13340 or 9.55535-GS1 and SN in 0w-30. Starting with ‘19 I believe they switched it to MS-13340 and SN Plus (big emphasis on Plus) in 0w-30.

In 0w-30 we have three options; Mopar (both specs and SN Plus), PP Euro LX (Fiat spec and SN), and Ravenol FES (Fiat spec (suitable) and SN).

When I reached out to Ravenol trying to get some information, I was told the following, “Ravenol FES 0w-30 has been tested by Fiat in order to prove the suitability. We do not know much about how they conduct those tests. After a positive result we make it public. However, to take an official approval or not is another commercial decision which involves larger investment. We appreciate your interests."

And yes, factory fill is Selenia Digitek Pure Energy.

Thanks for all the responses I certainly understand more than I did before, very helpful actually.

I see your older thread @RamFan appreciate your input, how has the Giulia been for you now at 35k. I done a ton of reading on forums etc, seems they have been fairly decent for most especially if you get past 17 MY but of course there are some horror stories too.

I’m just under 36k miles and genuinely could not be happier with my decision to purchase. It is a great daily driver that perfectly balances practicality, performance, and luxury. Admittedly, two or three more creature comforts would be a good thing to puff up that last characteristic.

I bought the car new in September of 2018. Since that time it’s been at the dealer for the following reasons. Compared to my CX-5 (also bought new), which has been at the dealership only once since purchase, this is going to look like a laundry list. But they’re minor annoyances, none of which left me stranded, and all of which were 100% covered under warranty.

9/26/18 - 350; Rattle from passenger side door when music on. Window switch clips were bent/broken. Replaced.

10/29/18 - 1,900; Catalytic Converter recall

4/19/19 - 9,727; Brake System recall

5/10/19 - 10,571; Valve stem on rear tire failed, causing a leak. Replaced.

11/11/19 - 19,113; Passenger side speaker sounded distorted. Replaced. RRT to replace passenger side door switches.

4/3/20 - 25,672; PCM/TCM recall.

6/3/20 - 26,446; Driver side seat mount broke. Replaced.

8/10/20 - 27,870; AC Condenser and Radiator replaced. Small leaks in both.

Knock on wood, I’ve now gone a full year without a visit, but I’m in the slightly above average camp of issues. Some have absolutely zero problems, others have lemons that get bought back in a matter of months. MOST owners though are experiencing 1-3 growing pains and that’s it. With the newer models there’s even less issues being reported.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time for that response, I appreciate it! (y)

I've been doing an awful lot of reading and I'm of the conclusion they are not a 95 Corolla but they certainly not the devils some make them out to be. I'm still working out how to get one in my garage LOL.

Back