Alex Zanardi seriously injured in accident

Yeah, just saw this too.
Can't imagine how any kind of a bicycle head-on with a vehicle (let alone a truck) can be good.
Nothing but good thoughts for Alex. As you mentioned, he's a trooper.

Hopefully he has a full recovery. He's lucky after that accident in Germany. The medical personnel at that crash estimated he had pretty much bled out when they started administering emergency transfusions of any liquid on hand to make it to the hospital. He has always come across as a genuinely nice person. I hope to see him and his smile again soon.

[Linked Image]

According to one report, he lost control on a downhill section prior to a bend, overturned, and went into the path of an oncoming truck in the opposing lane.

He was conscious and able to speak afterward, but the location hampered the time it took for help to arrive.

No matter, if anyone can overcome this, it's him.

The back story to Alex's surviving that terrible wreck in Germany... Was that the first responders knew what to do... Find his femoral arteries in both legs and physically clamp them off.. . With their hands... Then clamp off the femoral veins... If they had not done that or knew to do that.. He certainly would not have survived that accident. Even losing blood through one femoral artery would cause most people to pass away extremely quickly. Both femoral arteries cut... A person would be gone exceptionally fast.

I believe if anyone could come through yet another terrible accident... It will be Alex.

Once again we find ourselves praying for the recovery of Alex. It's difficult to explain his level of skill driving an open wheeled race car, so I'll just post video of "The Pass" for younger readers who might not know of Zinardi. For the rest of us, it's still some of the finest racing from CART's golden era.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBthxGThBkc
Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
The back story to Alex's surviving that terrible wreck in Germany... Was that the first responders knew what to do... Find his femoral arteries in both legs and physically clamp them off.. . With their hands... Then clamp off the femoral veins... If they had not done that or knew to do that.. He certainly would not have survived that accident. Even losing blood through one femoral artery would cause most people to pass away extremely quickly. Both femoral arteries cut... A person would be gone exceptionally fast.

I believe if anyone could come through yet another terrible accident... It will be Alex.

The book "Rapid Response" by Dr Steve Olvey is incredible. I have a signed original copy and just got a new copy that I let my opthamologist borrow, he is an enthusiast as well.

I think that the Indy car medical response teams over the years have been the best in the world.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I think that the Indy car medical response teams over the years have been the best in the world.

Hard to argue against that. I think there is something to be said about having the same group at every race. They build a rapport with the drivers and know when something is wrong.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by sloinker

Hard to argue against that. I think there is something to be said about having the same group at every race. They build a rapport with the drivers and know when something is wrong.

Exactly, exactly right ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Problem in hospitals and nursing homes....

Continuity of care.... People not knowing the people in their care... Leads to bad circumstances at times.

Rapid Response (based on the book) and Yellow Yellow Yellow are both streaming on Amazon Prime.

A lot of the things Drs. Olvey and Trammell instituted seem like common sense now, but were gained through hard experience.

Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
Rapid Response (based on the book) and Yellow Yellow Yellow are both streaming on Amazon Prime.

A lot of the things Drs. Olvey and Trammell instituted seem like common sense now, but were gained through hard experience.

Yep, Dr. Terry Trammell saved my Dad's leg after a bad auto accident. The surgeons on call had determined they needed to amputate due to a terrible spiral fracture with much splintering and fragmenting. Dr. Trammell happened by and saw the X-Rays and the doctors discussing it. He told them he could save that leg and took over. He patented a specific type of round head screw that he supposedly came up with to use with with a metal bar to be able to go at different angles to fasten to different bone pieces. There were 18 screws, in total. Needless to say, my Dad and our whole family were beyond grateful for Dr. Trammell.

On a lighter note, when I was dreaming of being a fighter pilot at 18 or 19 years old, I was worried that a Jr. high diagnosis of scoliosis would prevent me from safely withstanding the forces of an ejection. He did a full back x-ray and told me not only my spine well within the range of curve considered normal, but that I was misdiagnosed. All those years of exercise to prevent it from going further was unnecessary. (It made me stronger, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.) I don't think that took any great talent, but it was VERY reassuring to know that Dr. Trammel put his stamp of approval on my physical condition. As it turned out, I wound up too tall to fly fighters, anyway. Lol!

Growing up in Speedway, Indiana, in the shadow of IMS, Dr. Olvey and Dr. Trammel were household names.

Prayers are up for Mr. Zanardi. He's such an overcomer that I would bet all I have on his ability to do it once again.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by Carmudgeon

Yep, Dr. Terry Trammell saved my Dad's leg after a bad auto accident. The surgeons on call had determined they needed to amputate due to a terrible spiral fracture with much splintering and fragmenting. Dr. Trammell happened by and saw the X-Rays and the doctors discussing it. He told them he could save that leg and took over. He patented a specific type of round head screw that he supposedly came up with to use with with a metal bar to be able to go at different angles to fasten to different bone pieces. There were 18 screws, in total. Needless to say, my Dad and our whole family were beyond grateful for Dr. Trammell.

On a lighter note, when I was dreaming of being a fighter pilot at 18 or 19 years old, I was worried that a Jr. high diagnosis of scoliosis would prevent me from safely withstanding the forces of an ejection. He did a full back x-ray and told me not only my spine well within the range of curve considered normal, but that I was misdiagnosed. All those years of exercise to prevent it from going further was unnecessary. (It made me stronger, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.) I don't think that took any great talent, but it was VERY reassuring to know that Dr. Trammel put his stamp of approval on my physical condition. As it turned out, I wound up too tall to fly fighters, anyway. Lol!

Growing up in Speedway, Indiana, in the shadow of IMS, Dr. Olvey and Dr. Trammel were household names.

Prayers are up for Mr. Zanardi. He's such an overcomer that I would bet all I have on his ability to do it once again.

That's what I was told by the recruiter too. A dream dashed.

Best wishes for a good recovery to Mr. Zanardi.

Perhaps a bit OT, but how tall is too tall to fly fighters?

And who told you that?

Getting into a military flying program is very difficult: Major, GPA, physical condition, aptitude tests, etc. all have to meet some rigorous requirements.

But height is pretty broad...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Perhaps a bit OT, but how tall is too tall to fly fighters?

And who told you that?

Getting into a military flying program is very difficult: Major, GPA, physical condition, aptitude tests, etc. all have to meet some rigorous requirements.

But height is pretty broad...

I would have to guess that my good looks and charm won't get me into the pilots seat?

Back