"Alerts" stop notifying after a period of time ?

Does the "Alert" notification system with this software stop updating or notifying after some period of time ? When I visit here, I always check post/thread updates that I've participated in using this system and then I look for new (to me) topics to read. I will see updated threads in the forum listings that aren't listed in the Alert dropdown though. Is this by design ? It seems to happen with threads I haven't checked into (read) for a while (can't say how long "a while" is though).

This is the rule in the software, "User alerts will disappear from the alerts list 4 days after being viewed. Unviewed alerts will automatically expire after 30 days".

I think what I'm seeing is different than what you refer to or describe. Then again, maybe it's connected. What do you think about this example: I read/comment in a thread (day 1). Thread kinda dies and is dormant for (5) days. Someone adds a comment.

Will I get an alert ? Seems like something similar could be happening. 🤷‍♂️

In your preferences, what do you have checked under, "Receive a notification when someone…"?

I think this is related to my similar question:
Ooops, I missed your thread (not related to this issue though ;)). Definitely seems to be the same or very similar.

I don't have any idea. Hopefully we can find a pattern.
Ahhh, don't worry about it that much. I was mostly curious.... If it's simple or I had a checkbox missed, it would be resolved by now.

I’ve noticed this too. When I get on it will only have one alert if multiple people participated while I was gone. So you click on it and there is way more than one more post. Then you look at it. Then it sends you more notifications.

Here's an example thread that I wasn't notified about:

Just in case there's a glitch in the system related to the (4) days wwilson referred to above, this thread was only created (3) days ago so the 4-day condition can't even apply. I see there are new comments in it but no notification/alert. The last alert I rec'd for this thread was yesterday at 12:41pm when someone liked one of my comments.

Yeah I have had the same issues it usually occurs when multiple people post while I’m gone like I’ll get the first alert of someone posting then I won’t get anymore after that unless someone reacts to my posts or quotes it. The other posts that aren’t quoted don’t show up on my notifications then I click on it and it takes me to the post and their is several under it.

Turns out in that thread, there was a whole bunch of replies (2 add'l pages) that I didn't get alerted to. Maybe it did alert me a day or two ago but I missed it.... I do get alerts that say "AutoMechanic replied to the thread...." in other cases though.

The way it works for me is that when I get alerted but don't click on that alert notification, I am not going to get alerted again when there is new activity in that thread unless I go and visit that thread first.

And that's pretty consistent behavior across all xenforo based boards I frequent.

Last edited:
The way it works for me is that when I get alerted but don't click on that alert notification, I am not going to get alerted again when there is new activity in that thread unless I go and visit that thread first.

And that's pretty consistent behavior across all xenforo based boards I frequent.
That’s how it is for me. I thought something was wrong maybe not.

The way it works for me is that when I get alerted but don't click on that alert notification, I am not going to get alerted again
That definitely sounds plausible for what I'm seeing. I kinda see the logic in this but also see the flaw in it. If it's "by design", so be it.

At least in my case, even if i visit the tread, i don't get notifications.

Case in point the moving to TN thread.

Something is wrong for me at least, It's not behaving as it should.

Related issue:
If there are alerts regarding several threads in which I've posted, and I go view one of those threads, then all the other alerts vanish---before I've had a chance to follow them up.
Edit to clarify: I meant the red numeral indicating several new alerts disappears after I've pursued only one.

Last edited:
Related issue:
If there are alerts regarding several threads in which I've posted, and I go view one of those threads, then all the other alerts vanish---before I've had a chance to follow them up.
Edit to clarify: I meant the red numeral indicating several new alerts disappears after I've pursued only one.
That's how it's been working for me too. All you can do is take note of how many alerts you had, then go through them one-by-one from the top down.

and I go view one of those threads, then all the other alerts vanish---before I've had a chance to follow them up.
This is normal and I think notification systems for all systems work similarly. Once you click the bell, it doesn't keep track of what you click next. I think everyone will prefer it this way vs the alternative. What if you have (5) 'updates' but only click 2-3 of them ? It will remind you there are (2) more until you either click those links or click "Mark read".

Back