"Alerts" stop notifying after a period of time ?

I believe this is because you've received an alert for this "Appliance" thread previously, but you didn't actually click into that alert and visited that thread. If so, then you're not going to get any more alerts on that thread until you do. At least that is how it works for me.
I would hope that's not the case but maybe it is. My issue or complaint with that is, once it falls off the list of the (10) shown in the drop-down, I really won't see that thread get updated unless I browse into the (sub-)forum it's in. I never click the "See all..." (alerts) link myself.

The alerts do say "There may be add'l posts after this...." too. Almost like the developers added that wording for this very issue ! I guess the alert system doesn't have a way to remove/delete a previous alert ? As in, it alerts me that (#1) "Someone replied to thread X. There may be more posts after this. 1:30pm" and then an hour later, (#2) "Someone replied to thread X. There may be.... 2:45pm" and it quietly vanishes alert # 1 since # 2 now supersedes it.

You don't actually have to click on the alert, if you visit the tread it knows, however I do not think this is all of the issue at least in my case.

You don't actually have to click on the alert, if you visit the tread it knows
Never paid attention to that before but just encountered and it is pretty smart. I had (3) alerts just moments ago. Coincidentally all (3) alerts were from the same thread - 2 were a liked comment and 1 was a post of mine was quoted. I ignored the alert and just clicked into the thread directly and once the page opened, the alert went poof.

I know this has been a while.

I just noticed something - not sure if its new or has always been like that but if you open the alerts from the little bell and hover over each one the new ones have a blue dot (at least it is blue on dark theme) and the ones that are not new have a hollow circle in the bottom corner.

Also in a possibly related little tidbit - some times if i hover over the "show ignored content" it will list the member or members who are ignored and have posted, but sometimes it is just a small blue bubble and says "run script" - weird...

Which brings me to another thought related to the subject of this thread:

It does not hard stop at one notification, it seems to also have a time element if three people reply in half an hour i think you will get three notifications, but if it has been several hours probably not. I also don't get notifications when someone who is ignored replies (thats expected and appreciated) but i wonder how the system does that... does it generate a notification and then kill the notification or does it never create a notification? I guess my hypothesis is that if it generates one and kills it AND the time element elapses then it might think you were notified when you were not - if that makes sense....

Anyway, I've resorted to visiting the watch list and scrolling for bold titles occasionally...

Back