Alcohol In Dry gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of alcohol and what percentage by volume is it? I'm talking about Heet or similar gas line anti freeze.

Last edited:
With E10 gas why does anyone need gas line antifreeze?

But the local Stewarts (quick mart) sells it. If you buy 10 gallons of E10 you are getting a gallon of alcohol, maybe less, but probably at least 1/2 gallon. What will another 12oz or 16oz do that the first gallon did not? If you have that much water in your gas you have major problems.

Originally Posted by Donald

But the local Stewarts (quick mart) sells it. If you buy 10 gallons of E10 you are getting a gallon of alcohol, maybe less, but probably at least 1/2 gallon. What will another 12oz or 16oz do that the first gallon did not? If you have that much water in your gas you have major problems.

Beat me to it! I was going to ask the exact same question.

Originally Posted by Olas
Originally Posted by Donald

Beat me to it! I was going to ask the exact same question.

I used to get water buildup in my old snowblower even with E10 gas, one time I had to have a shop pick it up midseason when I couldn't get it to start and they told me the carburetor was just sodden with water. I would imagine that filling it up out in the driveway during snowstorms could have been the culprit, so I started being proactive by taking it back into the garage to top off the gas before it ran out as well as putting a bit of water remover in there.
Don't use the stuff in our cars...
I am actually wondering if my new snowblower has EFI...will have to look at it when I get home, can't even remember right now what brand it is!! Bought it cuz it's a three stage and I need to throw the snow a good distance with the ~30 foot turnaround circle in front of the garage. Old unit is a Yardman tracked jobbie, it put in over 20 years of yeoman service but just plain started to fall apart and some things were going to be tough fix...like a bolt holding part of the casing on needed to be retapped into the block. The track sprockets were shedding teeth like crazy when it was new, but they replaced those during the carburetor service and I didn't lose a tooth off those in 15 years.

Originally Posted by Toros
What type of alcohol and what percentage by volume is it? I'm talking about Heet or similar gas line anti freeze.

making some hand sanitiser?

Don't forget to add some Locust bean gum ( or similar) as a thickener

They say 60% Ethyl but I'm sure 50% or a 2-propanol is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back